Ron Paul takes it to Giuliani, gives him a reading list

This is the original argument between Paul and Giuliani as seen on the (incredibly biassed) Fox News Republican candidate debate:

[quote]Ron Paul: So there’s a lot of merit to the advice of the founders and following the constitution. And my argument is, that we shouldn’t go to war so carelessly. When you do that, the wars don’t end.

Wendell Goler (FOX News panelist): Congressman, you don’t think that changed with the 9/11 attacks, sir?

Paul: What changed?

Goler: The non-interventionist policies?

Paul: No. Non-intervention was a major contributing factor. Have you ever read about the reasons they attacked us? They attack us because we’ve been over there. We’ve been bombing Iraq for 10 years. We’ve been in the Middle East. I think Reagan was right: we don’t understand the irrationality of Middle-Eastern politics. So right now, we’re building an embassy in Iraq that’s bigger than the Vatican, we’re building 14 permanent bases. What would we say here if China was doing this in our country or in the Gulf of Mexico? We would be objecting. We need to look at what we do from the perspective of what would happen if somebody else did it to us.

Wendell: Are you suggesting we invited the 9/11 attacks, sir?

[muted applause]

Paul: I’m suggesting that we listen to the people who attacked us and the reason they did it. And they are delighted that we’re over there because Osama bin Laden has said, “I am glad you’re over on our sand because we can target you so much easier.” They’ve already now since that time have killed 3400 of our men, and I don’t think it was necessary.

[b]Rudolph Giuliani: Wendell, may I make a comment on that? That’s really an extraordinary statement. That’s an extraordinary statement, as someone who lived through the attack of September 11, that we invited the attack because we were attacking Iraq. I don’t think I’ve ever heard that before, and I’ve heard some pretty absurd explanations for September 11.

[15 seconds of loud applause]

Giuliani: And I would ask the Congressman to withdraw that comment and tell us he didn’t really mean that.[/b][/quote]

Now beyond pointing out that the audience proved themselves to be a bunch of goons who get their strings pulled by a bit of rhetoric straight out of a Hollywood action movie, it has been frequently observed that obviously Giuliani has been hiding in a cave for the past six years if he “hasn’t ever heard” of Ron Paul’s argument (although, technically, it is possibly he hasn’t heard “that we invited the attack because we were attacking Iraq” because in fact that isn’t even what Ron Paul said!")

So now, Paul is giving Giuliani a reading list:

Ron Paul To Go On Offensive Against Rudy Giuliani

[quote] “Experts, scholars, administration officials and bi-partisan investigators all tell us that 50 years of interventionism in the Middle East has compromised the security of America. To deny that bad policy has serious negative repercussions is to deny reality.

During our debate in South Carolina, I continued to make the case that we must change foreign policy to secure our nation. Mr. Giuliani attacked me, calling my position ‘absurd,’ and said that he had ‘never heard’ such a thing.

Mr. Giuliani is not really interested in discussing foreign policy. Instead, he wants to shout down anyone who doesn’t agree with him. He attacks my patriotism, inferring that if I do not support war, then I do not love America. We have heard these arguments before. They are arguments of ignorance and authoritarianism.

Today, I stood with Michael Scheuer, the man who spearheaded the CIA’s efforts to capture Osama Bin Laden, and perhaps the most qualified expert to speak about the blowback caused by American foreign policy. I cited leading scholars, the 9-11 Commission, the CIA and even Paul Wolfowitz. Rudy Giuliani’s ignorance on foreign policy is alarming. I hope he pays attention and learns.”[/quote]

Don’t just read Paul’s statement above. The site also contains the actual reading list, as well as “cliff notes” for Giuliani, very centrist political analysis, and a nice set of related links.