Rosacea

What do Bill Clinton, WC Fields and Princess Di have in common?

No, they weren’t all total sexual deviants. Or maybe they were, I don’t know, but that’s not my point.

It’s believed they all suffered from Rosacea. Same for James Cagney, Prince Charles, Cameron Diaz, Rene Zwelleger, Rosie O’Donnel, Mariah Carey, JP Morgan, Rembrandt and many millions of others. Same also for me, except I’m certain I suffer from it. And suffer is the right word. It really sucks. Here’s what it looks like on a common person.

As you can see, the face is extremely red and flushed. Look painful? It is. It fucking burns. Worse yet, there’s no cure for it, but instead there are lots of triggers that exacerbate it, so one is supposed to learn the triggers and avoid them. But get this – want to know what some of the top triggers are?

• heat
  • cold
  • sunshine
  • exercise
  • humidity
  • wind
  • coffee
  • alcohol
  • hot drinks
  • cold drinks
  • spicy foods
  • chocolate
  • lots of other particular foods
  • stress, embarassment, excitement or other emotions
  • swimming pools, hot tubs, etc.

So how the hell is one supposed to avoid all that? That’s basically everything worth living for.

Admittedly there are topical creams one can get for it (though they make it worse for me) and very low level oral antibiotics (which work for me if I’m good about avoiding the triggers), but right now my face feels like it’s on fucking fire, because last week was a very stressful week at work, I had a few drinks over the weekend, went for a long bike ride in the sun, cold and wind, and am unable to quit drinking coffee.

Anyway, I just thought I’d start this thread in case there are any other rosacea suffers on the board (there almost certainly are), because it’s really frustrating as hell and it took me several years to figure out what it was (the doctors I visited didn’t figure it out; I did online). I finally know for sure exactly what it is and exactly how to control it, but it still sucks.

Sure, it could definitely be worse. I could have cancer, or leukemia, or be missing a leg. But anyone else out there with it, knows exactly what I’m talking about.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosacea

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
As you can see, the face is extremely red and flushed. Look painful? It is. It fucking burns. Worse yet, there’s no cure for it, but instead there are lots of triggers that exacerbate it, so one is supposed to learn the triggers and avoid them. [/quote]
Miserable!
Have you tried metronidazole cream, 1%? My sister uses it twice a day for four or five weeks and finds that that mostly clears it – but you have to carefully avoid the gel since it’s got alcohol in it and it’s very drying – it makes hers WORSE to use the gel. She has also had good results from taking a three-week high-dose course of Keflex.

There is also a connection (for some people, maybe 30%) between rosacea and H. pylori, the bacteria that causes stomach ulcers. I’d consider having that simple test run, because it’s not hard to treat H. pylori and if that’s the problem, you’ll be solving TWO problems at once! :slight_smile:

Since you brought it up, I’m sure I’m not the only one who wants to know if you’re a sexual deviant, and how this affects the symptoms.

A family friend used to think she suffered from this, but it then turned out she actually had (hold on, googling) Seborrheic Dermatitis. Her face never looked as red as on the images of full-blown Rosacea, but her facial skin would become very dry, itchy, flaky. She also had to self-diagnose…

Just a thought.

Nah, I’m fairly certain it’s rosacea, though I read about what you just mentioned, nuit. Took several years of self-diagnosis. Funny how google can be more helpful than a bevy of doctors (especially when the doctors barely speak english).

Ha, funny you say that. I visited the doctor last week and picked up 4 tubes (what they gave me) of the gel. Skin is red and hot, apply gel and it burns like hell, till I can quickly wash it off. Initially I assumed the docs must know what they’re doing so I must keep applying that stuff, time after time, and persevere through the pain and worsening condition that it causes in the hope that it will eventually help. But it doesn’t. Weird that they prescribe something that only makes the condition dramatically worse. I’ll ask for the cream next time.

But oral antibiotics definitely help. Of course, I recognize that over use of antibiotics is not good, but in this case I’ll readily indulge to make the damn redness subside.

Most important, though, is to minimize triggers. Try to avoid stress, minimize time in the sun, wear sunscreen, avoid spicy foods, and excessive coffee or alcohol, etc.

Thanks. I remember reading that before. I’ll have to follow up on it just in case. :thumbsup:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Nah, I’m fairly certain it’s rosacea, though I read about what you just mentioned, nuit. Took several years of self-diagnosis. Funny how google can be more helpful than a bevy of doctors (especially when the doctors barely speak english).

Ha, funny you say that. I visited the doctor last week and picked up 4 tubes (what they gave me) of the gel. Skin is red and hot, apply gel and it burns like hell, till I can quickly wash it off. Initially I assumed the docs must know what they’re doing so I must keep applying that stuff, time after time, and persevere through the pain and worsening condition that it causes in the hope that it will eventually help. But it doesn’t. Weird that they prescribe something that only makes the condition dramatically worse. I’ll ask for the cream next time.

But oral antibiotics definitely help. Of course, I recognize that over use of antibiotics is not good, but in this case I’ll readily indulge to make the damn redness subside.

Most important, though, is to minimize triggers. Try to avoid stress, minimize time in the sun, wear sunscreen, avoid spicy foods, and excessive coffee or alcohol, etc.

Thanks. I remember reading that before. I’ll have to follow up on it just in case. :thumbsup:[/quote]
OK, here’s the thing. You might need a LONG course of STRONG antibiotics to kick it in the ass. And maybe some metro cream to settle it down… though here’s my suspicion on that front… ANY gentle emollient cream, with or without medication, might do the trick. Metro is an antifungal; I didn’t look while I was in the 'wan, but (sorry) maybe you can find some anti-fungal cream meant for curing athlete’s foot OTC and try that. Given the level of agony I suspect you’re in, and how cheap athlete’s foot stuff generally is, I’d try it if I were you. As they say, “it can’t hurt”.

All the avoiding the triggers in the world can’t help like CURING it. I mean, sure, we’d all be better off if we slept more, ate more veggies, swore less, jogged every day, etc. etc. but within reason, it seems better to slay the dragon than to try to tiptoe around it, desperately hoping it doesn’t open its eyes and get angry. KWIM? :shocker:

Can you doctor shop, shamelessly (if falsely) claiming stomach pain, and ask for an H. pylori test? That’s easy and cheap and if you do have H. pylori, the antibiotics are different but usually VERY effective. Wouldn’t it be amazing if your stomach seems fine but your skin got cured? I think that would be so ace. Bodies are crazy amazing.

Good luck. :yay:

MT, buy a huge aloe vera leaf in the market and put it in the fridge. Slice off a two inch slice, open it up and slather your face with it.

It sounds sticky and gross, and maybe it is a little, but it’s natural, it’s cool, and it’s very good for your skin, inflamed or not.

If your skin is too inflamed ANTHING you put on it is going to burn. Try to give yourself a break from the stress, if possible. Rest in a dark, quiet room. Slather a clean face cloth with the aloe and gently rest this against your face.

You could even buy a plant and grow your own to keep on hand. It’s the number one burn remedy, too.

I’ve got every kind of skin irritation or auto-immune skin inflamation in the book, and they’re all worse here in Taiwan. Part of the problem is the polution of the air and water here, so you also want to be sure only to wash your face with pure, clean, bottled, water and never put any kind of hand cream or face cream on your face.

And don’t wear make-up.

What about when he wants to look pretty? :frowning:

What about when he wants to look pretty? :frowning:[/quote]

Some of us have to settle for “natural” beauty; rosey cheaks can be a plus.

Anyway, I had to warn him because I’m not sure of his possibly un-related sexualy deviant practices. I’ve never met MT IRL and so I’m not sure what his personal habits are.

EDIT: i don’t remember the mg dosages exactly so please don’t use this as a guide for dosages! but the treatment is about right.

i have it too. it also took me several years to diagnose, and i think was even harder cuz it started w/my eyes (i used to styes and chalazions all the time…no eye dr ever figured it out). i also figured it out myself w/the help of my ex-gf (who’s a doctor, so gave me md reading material when i settled upon rosacea). skin doctor at shida also said it was rosacea.

anyway, i have it (mostly) settled down! for me, what worked was first going on a run of doxycyline (250mg orally, 2x day i think) for awhile. i also got metronidazole gel (not sure how many %) for my nose…1x day before bed. used both and not too much longer it was under control, however if i ever went off it would come back after a few days. this probably went on for like 3-6 months. then i weaned down to 100mg (they didn’t have 50mg pills in tw before, not sure about now either) 1x a day of doxy prob for the next 6-9 months, and was using the metro gel sporadically before bed. i don’t use anything now.

if you google i think you can find some of this info. doxycycline at 50mg a day is sub-antibiotic and is used for the anti-inflammation properties. i think the metro gel is also anti-inflammation. there is a theory that rosacea is caused by some certain bacteria in the stomach or intestines, and i happen to think this is right but no idea how to treat the core issue. anyway good luck!