Rosetta Stone

Is Rosetta Stone software on CD (legally) available in Taiwan (end if yes, where)? This stuff is just too expensive in Europe and they won’t let me order directly from the US website. :frowning:

Thanks!

Yes you can, but to be honest I cannot really tell you how to get there. There is a small ally close to Taida that is somewhat close to the Mcdonalds. Down that ally is a small bookstore that carries english educations books, test prep books, and a small selection of various english books, but there you can find the Rosetta software and it is available in many different languages.

Maybe with this someone else can give you more detailed directions.

If it’s the same store that leaped to mind reading your description, it’s in the last alley on Hsinsheng S. Road before you hit the intersection with Roosevelt, south of the McDonald’s. I think it’s right where the Eslite is/was. If you go into the alley, the store would be on your right walking in toward Alley 268 of Roosevelt Road (which is the alley that parallels Hsinsheng S. Road there – I’m not psychic, I used to live on it, that’s the only reason I know the number). There’s a convenience store on the intersection with the alley on the left side, which would mean you’ve gone too far.

I remember a lot of English test materials there, but I wasn’t specifically looking for software so I can’t remember if they had Rosetta Stone there or not. It seems like a likely place to look, though.

Failing that, can’t you get someone to buy it for you in the US and mail it or bring it back for you?

Probably the best and cheapest solution. However, since my girlfriend is currently in Taiwan, I thought that if the software is available there, she could bring it to Lux. for me, so I wouldn’t have to bother any friends in the US.

I use the online version. Have you considered doing that?

Not sure if you’d know, but is there any difference in the material between the CD version and online version? I was thinking about using the Rosetta Stone but I’m not sure which one to choose but it seems as if the online version is more expensive over time, all things being equal.

The software is basically the same I think. Only difference may be that if they update the software only those with the online version will get the update. But I don’t think this is a big issue.

The reason I chose the online version was because I wanted to go through the first level fairly swiftly, mostly for the purposes of improving character recognition, before going on to the second level. The online version contains both the first and second levels.

Actually, I’m spending longer on the first level and it has more useful “meat” to it than I had envisaged. Of course it helps a lot with reading and there are some useful new vocabulary items, but what is also helping me is the cycling around basic grammatical structures that are needed for fluency. I know them already but by doing them again they are really becoming “part of me”.

I also find the program is helping me with getting the tones right. If I’m not dead sure about the tone for a particular word I’ll quickly switch to the pinyin view, check, then go back to the character view.

Yes, I’m doing that right now (just to see if their teaching method suits me). Since I don’t have much time every day to study (and I’m a slow learner :wink:), I think the offline version is simply cheaper in the long run (and I can give it to someone after reaching perfection or giving up).

Be aware though that I spotted two substantive errors in the Chinese just browsing a random page from Level 1 in an airport one day.

And they are? :slight_smile:

For heaven’s sake, I was in an airport. I didn’t write it down.
One of them involved a just outright wrong use of na4 (“that”) as I recall. Something that basic should be correct, especially in software for beginners.
I don’t know which lesson it was – I just clicked on one at random. One of those “I still have half an hour to kill” situations before boarding.

Anyone have good experiences with Rosetta Stone?

I’m interested in getting it for maybe japanese or german.

thanks.

*bring on the jokes about your ‘good times’ with Rosetta.

Yes, it’s very effective. It’s not perfect, but it’s better than most other computer learning software.

It’s good because it focuses on the things that help us learn languages most efficiently. It’s comprehension-based and visual. There is good “scaffolding” of language: that is, building up new language through the use of previously learned language. And it’s pretty good for recycling and reviewing. This is vital.

Sometimes the pictures are a little ambiguous, so it may help you to have a bilingual dictionary on hand.

Ironlady has noted that there are a few mistakes in the Chinese (just a few though I think). In addition, some of the vocabulary used is more common in “mainland” usage.

Why not try it out? You can try it for free online. I think now you have to start with quite a basic tutorial/free trial, but then you can go on to try another version which is more like the full version. This is the link for the demo:
www2.rosettastone.com/en/individuals/demo

I’m looking to buy new or preferably barely used (to save some $, anyone out there have a dusty copy?) the Rosetta Stone Mandarin Chinese Homeschool Program to use w/ my kids. Anyone know where to pick it up in Taipei area?

I know some Chinese sentences and phrases, but I got the demo CD so I can learn to speak Mandarin fluently. Is the software worth the time and investment?

Its method is sound, its application is not.

It lacks spaced repetition or any other form of systematic review.

I am using a similar method using Anki, Nciku and iKnow, PM me for more details.

well, if you’re not IN taiwan right now… my public library (in california) offers a free online language learning with my library card membership. it’s called mango languages or something. look around for those offers.

I know this is a REAL far cry…but wouldn’t hurt haah

rosetta stone is SO EXPENSIVE though… watch some subbed dramas, if you’re into it :smiley:
asianrice.tv

The Rosetta Stone is great software. It’s really nicely designed, easy to use and you pick up vocabulary and sentence structures quickly. You’ll need to supplement it with some real teaching for pronunciation though.

[quote=“AlexBlackman”]It lacks spaced repetition or any other form of systematic review.
[/quote]

Maybe you’re referring to V2. V3 has repetition and review.

v2 and v3 are so different as to be apples and oranges.

Clicky clicky, I’m bored. I didn’t exactly find it engaging. Has anyone reached a beyond beginner level with this? I tried it to try and get my Thai going again but it just didn’t do anything for me. Seemed faffy and pointless, but obviously it ‘works’ for some people. Or is it just clever marketing? I don’t see how the picture differentiation thing could work beyond a basic level. Also, the Thai script wasn’t taught, it was just included in a tiny font next to the pic, so that really wouldn’t work.