Rotten Food From Carrefour

If we do this then we should close down Taiwan …

Anyways, it’s not only Carrefour … Wellcome is also unreliable sometimes when they discount meats and fruits, vegetables … they have a habit of putting bad fruit upside down on a PP dish and then wrap it … the meat can be near going bad …

I gotta ask…is that Michael Douglas in your avatar pic?

I’m okay with that. Seriously, a huge shock the the system may be what is needed to get change instituted, just as with the DEHP scandal. Shut the #!@*&^# bastards down.

Yes. And their Romaine lettuce comes in a package that has opaque sections designed to hide the parts of the lettuce that go bad first. I always open the package to check the lettuce, on the rare occasions I buy it there. I agree on the meat, too. Never buy the discounted stuff. :noway:

I just open up the package and smell the chicken first. Never ended up buying anything nasty.

Saw this story and thought of this thread…

chinapost.com.tw/china/natio … -meats.htm

"Expired meats force Carrefour to close China store

BEIJING – French retail giant Carrefour has been forced to shut down a store in central China that allegedly sold expired meat products, an official said Monday.
The closure comes after the retailer’s outlet in Henan province was exposed by national broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV) for also passing off regular poultry as more expensive free-range chicken, the official told AFP.

“The shop reported by CCTV is closed now and we don’t know when it will open again,” the official surnamed Zhao with the Zhengzhou Trade and Industry Bureau said.

“We are investigating this supermarket for fake products and for outdated products.”

Staff at the Zhengzhou store confirmed to AFP by phone that the outlet had been closed since Sunday."

[quote=“jimipresley”]The wife went shopping last night at the Carrefour (Er Chong) branch. Brought back some shrimp (prawn) and chicken. She started cooking the shrimp and despite the smell of the garbage I was posting on the flob, I was overwhelmed by the stench.
I told her to ditch it IMMEDIATELY. It stank like the corpse of a life-long fisherman.

Tonight I attempted a stir-fry with the chicken. As soon as I opened the package (tomb), I was overwhelmed by an even viler stink. That stuff got interred, too.

What’s my recourse here? The big chains in Taiwan don’t seem to give a shit about customer satisfaction. My wife has whined and screamed at them before and they just shrug and throw their hands up. A mere NT$300 for the lot, but NT$300 for excrement that I had to throw in the garbage, nonetheless.

I’m a bit angry.[/quote]

At least you didn’t get sick Jimi.

Stick with the wet markets. No comparison.

Had the same problem.

I love Carrefour for having easily the best booze and bread of any supermarket ('gourmet expensive ones aside), and I buy fruit there, because they generally have better than my local Wellcome (although not as good as RT Mart, but I generally hate shopping at RT Mart).

BUT, I bought some discounted chicken for my cats a couple of weeks ago, and it was clearly rotten.

To their credit, I brought in the receipt a week later, and they gave me a refund without asking for any proof or anything - as they have done when I bought back a cracked picnic table I once bought there).

Conclusion: Don’t buy meat there, don’t go there specifically for fruit, but otherwise they’re the best supermarket in Taiwan.

Never EVER buy discounted meats or seafood. :2cents: They are discounted because they’re not fresh, and there are frequent rumors about expired, potentially unsafe products at various local chain stores having new expiry dates put on them, along with the discount price.

The overdue goods don’t stay in the big stores anymore, being too afraid of the media spotting it.
You will find them at your local rebate store - including fake repacking and Date of Expiry.

Sincerely, where ever you buy goods here, how sure can you be it is not full of pesticides, was not frozen and refrozen and so on? You just need luck.
To quote one of our local suppliers ; “In Taiwan, no one is honest when it comes to sell and make money” sigh…