šŸ Round Taiwan | Can I get some advice on visiting Taiwan?

A lot of Taiwanese thinks that hurricanes are actually more powerful than typhoons because of the amount of destruction it does to the Americas.

Itā€™s because the way they build houses in the Americas as well as lack of a mountain to shield things and poor flood control that makes hurricanes really destructive, but typhoons as a rule is actually more powerful because they have a much bigger ocean to strengthen in.

When I landed in LA there was some 8 or 12 inch rains happening and I thought "man we see 30 inch rains in Taiwan during typhoons, 8 inch ainā€™t nothing), and it was pretty hard rain, and caused a lot of flooding.

Hurricane Harvey dumped 30+ inch rains in Houston and that was like Biblical, but Taiwan can handle it just fine. We get a couple of really destructive ones every 20 years or so though, so donā€™t let your guard down but Iā€™ve noticed Taiwan becoming better at managing typhoons. Used to be in the 80s we were getting week long power outages in Taipei and we donā€™t even get power outage now.

1 Like

@ast, if youā€™re on Facebook join this group to contact Robby and also get advice from people who ride motorcycles around the island

2 Likes

Group is super helpful.

If ur looking to Huandao, I do think it would be preferable to wait a bit longer and push it to a cooler and drier month. Iā€™m sure the folks here can tell you exactly when that is, but I assume sometime in fall?

2 Likes

Chinese holidays are actually a better marker of season than the Christian calendar.

The rule is, temperature starts to drop at Mid Autumn festival, and will be coldest around Chinese new year, and then temperature will slowly pick back up. Then around tomb sweeping day the monsoon/plum rain will start, and will continue until dragon boat festival where the hot weather begins, that lasts until mid autumn festival.

If you want to huandao, then do it about 2 weeks after mid autumn festival.

5 Likes

Makes actually good sense, given that a lot of them are harvest or solar based. Thats a nice little factoid LuthiersšŸ˜

4 Likes

Youā€™re like the opposite of @tommy525 and his helpful and funny anecdotal stories (Tommyisms).
Yours shall be branded as Luthiersisms (not to be confused with Lutheranism).

4 Likes

Be careful. Might want to verify first.

2 Likes

I guess it depends what he means by ā€œaround the islandā€. I wouldnā€™t recommend going into inland mountainous regions even with a powerful bike; if he literally means around the perimeter of the island, most of the roads are in very good condition, and on the flat. I havenā€™t gone actually around the island myself, but Iā€™ve done quite a lot of driving here and there on a scooter, and never felt that I needed a bigger bike. Largest bike Iā€™ve ever hired was 250cc and the responsiveness and higher top speed is nice, but thatā€™s about all.

1 Like

Well I usually do bit this one seemed to make good sense. Factoid maybe not the right word and I donā€™t really know the weather year round, but it makes sense in terms of how calendars were generally made and where festivals landed historically in imperial China and I honestly know more about that than I do modern china in some ways :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Itā€™s so accurate that you could practically predict weather around it. Sure the cooling days varies but those days pretty much mark the time to expect temperature change.

I remember in 2020 mid autumn festival didnā€™t start until early october, and the temperature did not drop even a little bit until the actual day of mid autumn festival.

The temperature drop is always accompanied by rain, just so you know. Bring an umbrella, and make sure itā€™s the folding kind that you can stow in a bag. DO NOT assume that it will not rain because you see the sun. Weather can and do change at the drop of a hat in Taiwan, and after mid autumn festival, temperature drop can occur mid day and the drop can exceed 20F!! So plan accordingly.

Get a good rain coat, these are required equipment for motorcycles in Taiwan.

5 Likes

On this one, heā€™s reasonably accurate as far as the south goes. Basically October to May is a lot drier and less hot.

True enough, but in the south it is pretty hard to avoid low mountains. Southern cross island highway is currently closed from rain damage, and the roads further to the south are open now but dangerous in the rain and way less beautiful.

If heā€™s coming all the way here to ride around the island, just doing a circumnavigation is a bit of a shame. Especially since the west side of the island is so dull and developed compared to the mountain roads. East coastal roads are beautiful, but less so in the rain

4 Likes

Only in northern Taiwan. In the rest of Taiwan, it only rains during plum season/summer.

1 Like

Thank you everyone. A lot of valuable information, really.

I shouldā€™ve stated for context that Iā€™m from Barcelona, Spain. Here, ā€œitā€™s going to rainā€ means the day is going to be mostly cloudy and some point drops of water may possibly fall from the sky. Any more intensity than that is usually a big drama. So yeah, Iā€™m not used to rain, in fact havenā€™t had to drive a motorcycle in the rain for months. On the other hand Iā€™m not afraid of heat.

ā€œHuandaoā€. Thatā€™s an interesting concept, Iā€™ll try to remember it as it could be something useful to shout inside a motorcycle rental shop if all other means of communication fail.

5 Likes

ē’°å³¶ if u want to just show it to them since the tones definitely donā€™t come naturally. Theyā€™ll probably be happy to know what youā€™re doing with it, although they will also probably charge u a bit more for non local usage, but buying in (time terms) bulk will help u out on that front somewhat. But the people who have the nicer bikes to rent might be the same to be hesitant to lend to a foreignerā€¦ You might want to provide something to give them as ęŠ¼é‡‘ (deposit) :sweat_smile:

In that case, itā€™s ā€œJuan Daoā€. :wink:

It means ā€œaround the islandā€ (usually on a scooter). Itā€™s a rite of passage for many Taiwanese, mostly because how annoying and uncomfortable it is to ride around the island on a scooter.

1 Like

Well the first part of his comment is correct, the gangster part less so. BMWs and mercs have the worst drivers no matter where you are :rofl:

Genius. A mad scientist, even.

4 Likes

These folks organize tours and know about license requirements:

Bienvenido.
Darle la vuelta a la Isla en bicicleta, scooter o motocicleta de alto cilindraje es muy comĆŗn. Ahora hace mucho calor y todavĆ­a hay efectos del tifĆ³n, pero si va a pasar un tiempo acĆ”, serĆ” una experiencia Ćŗnica.

4 Likes

My personal take on the matter - and Iā€™m sure different people will disagree - is that an extended tour like this is more fun if you can leave it slightly open-ended. Allow for the possibility that you might get stuck somewhere, either voluntarily or because of the weather, or that you might want to take a detour, and pre-book as few staging posts as possible, allowing plenty of time in between. So for example he might book six hotels on alternate days in well-chosen locations, and play the rest by ear as far as practically possible. Central Taiwan (around Nantou) is a nice place to just pootle around, and you can detour off into the ā€œmountainsā€ without encountering any terrain that a scooter canā€™t handle (in my limited experience).

I agree itā€™s best to wait for clement weather, but Iā€™m not sure Taiwan actually has such a thing.

3 Likes

In the south, oh yeah!

3 Likes

Basically October to April anywhere outside of northern Taiwan. Literally perfect weather.

6 Likes