Rubberbands kill dogs in Taichung

Astonishing what cruelty is inflicted upon animals everywhere. I have seen kids and asshole adults do awful things to animals in Canada too. I don’t think it’s fair to slag just the Taiwanese for this. It’s human nature, sick human nature. There’s some real sick screwballs out there.[/quote]

Very good point. You only have to check out the the news page on the website of the UK’s RSPCA to realise that.

I think the biggest problem here, though, is that it is difficult to punish offendors, despite having such great laws in place. Hopefully that will start to change soon, as Taiwan is maturing at an ever increasing rate.

Astonishing what cruelty is inflicted upon animals everywhere. I have seen kids and asshole adults do awful things to animals in Canada too. I don’t think it’s fair to slag just the Taiwanese for this. It’s human nature, sick human nature. There’s some real sick screwballs out there.[/quote]

Take a look at the Sun sometimes – they’re amateurs on animal cruelty here compared to the Brits.[/quote]

Oh so predictable…

If you are trying to tell me that animal abuse is as widespread in the UK as it is in Taiwan then you are mad. Sure, there are nutters who make it into the papers every so often with mind boggling cases of cruelty, but routine casual abuse of animals on the scale of the Taiwanese? Come on. Nonsense.

I have to agree, while other countries also have cases of animal abuse, they are far fewer than what I have seen in Taiwan. There will always be cases of abuse world wide because lets face it, there are some pretty messed up people out there. As it is my friends dog just died after injesting rat poison she found in a park he took her to. It was the first dog he ever owned, liked etc and thanks to stupid people she is dead.

Take a look at the Sun sometimes – they’re amateurs on animal cruelty here compared to the Brits.[/quote]

Oh so predictable…

If you are trying to tell me that animal abuse is as widespread in the UK as it is in Taiwan then you are mad. Sure, there are nutters who make it into the papers every so often with mind boggling cases of cruelty, but routine casual abuse of animals on the scale of the Taiwanese? Come on. Nonsense.[/quote]
My sister’s a vet for the PDSA in Edinburgh. Approximately 60% of the cases she deals with are animal abuse. 60%. I asked her last night and she knew the figure off the top of her head. It is such an overwhelming problem now that all PDSA vets are involved in a program to chart animal abuse patterns in the UK, so she’s well aware of the depth of the problem. It is truly staggering, and what they’ve already noticed is that its not confined to underprivileged and poor areas – its across the board, although mostly urban.
I’ll admit there was a touch of hyperbole in my earlier post – most unlike me, I know – but there is indeed a very serious problem in Bleuuurghland and its getting worse.

This one didn’t die. She had three rubber bands around her snout so thight that it cut right through her breathing passages. I doubt she got that on her snout from scrounging lunch boxes… As of now, she doesn’t breathe through her nose, but through the holes at the top of her snout. Friendliest dog too, it’s hard to comprehend. :s

She left Taiwan August 6, to go to San Francisco where she will have reconstructive surgery.

Yet another badly mangled pooch saved and relocated by www.savedogs.org

Rascal also went to the USA last Sunday. For those of you who remember the thread called flea bags, this is the last one of them that had not found a home yet. He now lives in great family in LA.

Many thanks to Joseph and Maggie! :notworthy:

:bravo: way to go guys :notworthy:

I just officially took in a female who about a year ago was abandoned by a family around the corner after they’d put a piece of wire around its neck as a pup. They DID remove it (I heard the dog screaming), and then dumped the bleeding dog outside to fend for itself. I’d tried to find other acomodations for her, but…ermm…after a year, she’s sorta adopted me.

What really surprised me is that AFTER her experience with the wire being embedded beneath the flesh (she looked an awful lot like the photos posted above), I was worried about actually putting a collar on her so I can safely walk her, and occasionally tie her on a 6’ chain when the doors are open (like for moving things in/out). She had NO issues with the collar :slight_smile:.

Good for you! And good for your unnamed friend! :slight_smile: