Rumoured Changes to Naturalization Legislation

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“spaint”][quote=“Satellite TV”]
Gov Attache did just this. He renounced, then I advised him to re-apply for his British passport ( he didnt know he could but I know there is a clause you have to be given your UK Nationality back if you dont get full citizenship of the other country within 6 months ) which he used to go to China. It just meant it took more than 1 year to get his ID card. But now he has both ROC and British passports.[/quote]

Yeah, that’s exactly what I’d like to do, actually. Just concerned about getting caught out when I upgrade from a TARC. [/quote]

Get caught for what? You only have to show you have renounced, which you have already done.[/quote]

To paraphrase what I said a mere page ago, I’m concerned that they’ll implement an extra hoop to jump through.

Right now, you take a health check to get candidature, then you renounce, take your proof of renunciation to get a TARC, wait “1 year” then have to take the health check again to get household registration. Given the stupidity of having a health check when you’re already “stateless” (though a Chinese national), it wouldn’t surprise me to have the NIA decide that you need to prove (again) that your renunciation is still in effect.

The NIA does love closing its loopholes. The one you used, for example (getting divorced after renouncing, prior to obtaining household registration), would appear to no longer be available, given the information offered in the thread on SE-Asian brides here: Movement to push for dual citizenship for immigrants