Running Groups / Clubs In Central Taiwan? (Taichung)

Hi,

Do you know any running groups around central Taiwan (especially Taichung) that are suited for 20 - 30 year old, male and are to some degree expat friendly? Regarding the “expat friendly” part, I’m referring mostly to being populated by other foreigners and / or English being used.

I have seen a lot of cycling activities especially in Taichung. I have seen dancing classes, outdoor fitness classes mostly (well, all) for women. I’ve seen martial arts practices in the park. What I haven’t found is a group for running, even hiking / trail running.

To be honest, the only people I meet on my runs are other foreigners. Most Taiwanese run either on the track at FCU (which is great but it is far) or on a treadmill. So, anyone knows of such a group?

When I was in Europe, there would be many groups that would do a 5 kilometer run in the morning. It wasn’t anything competitive but rather we would run together and at the end, share a meal and a drink. It was a good time. Anything similar around here?

Have you tried looking into foreigner triathlon groups?

They have to do their brick work outs and definitely run. I know a few guys that are triathletes in Taichung, but are part of a cycling club here in Taipei.

There’s always the International drinking club with a running problem where neither drinking or running is required but meeting people that do one or both is. For more info just Google “Hash House Harriers”.

Have you’ve attended? Thoughts?

No, I have not. Can you provide me with a lead? Also, I’m not at that level, at least at this moment. Is being a triatlete a requirement?

The first one I went to was one of the most unforgettable amazing experiences of my life.

I’m not a member or anything but I try to catch them especially when I go to a new country or city. It’s a great way to meet people.

They have a variety of events. Some are man only. Some are women only. Some are mixed. Some are for families and children.

I highly recommend it for people that like to run, or exercise,. Or neither of those, or meet new people, or just try very interesting unique experiences p.

Sounds good. Mind sharing your experience with them? You can tell me the story of your first experience if you’d like and if it is not too much to ask.

I’ll talk about my most recent one. I was in the Philippines on vacation and someone mentioned there was a run on Sunday so I went along. It was a couple hundred people of families and aunties and old people and young people walking for a few hours or running for a few hours or whatever they wanted to do over a pre-designated path through hills and mountains and rivers and tourist areas and then ended up with a nice picnic at the end.

There were hardcore Runners that ran that hard route the entire way and non-runners that walked a simpler shorter way. But fun was had by all.

They have different levels and types of runs for all types of people on different days of the week.

Are you a runner and seriously not heard of them?

Unfortunately, I only know cycling groups, but a majority of the foreigner cyclists do some running on the side. Give Yang Ming Shan Cycling Group an add on FB. Once you’re in, just introduce yourself and I’m sure someone will come along to help you or tag someone to get you connected.

You could also do an English search of FB groups with keywords Taichung and running. I’m sure there’s no shortage of groups, but just going to take a bit to find one that right for you.

Good luck!

Seems like it.

I haven’t joined any group while in Asia. I haven’t heard of them in Europe. Thank you, I’ll definitely check them out.

Personally, I’m looking more for a “serious, consistent, reliable” type of group, where practicing is a daily / bi-weekly / weekly routine. This seems more like a fun / socializing group. I guess I’m one of those serious people who cares more about his miles than having a drink.

I do need some R&R though so I’ll definitely check them out. Maybe I’ll meet you there.

I have seen the cyclists here. They take it seriously, very seriously, something I like.

As a pragmatic European, I don’t see fitness and sports as a socializing activity (which tends to be the case in Taiwan) but as what it is - a way to improve. I am not looking to have fun, I’m looking to feel like I’m growing. I watched these guys cycle several times and I told to myself “too bad I’m not cycling because I need to join such a disciplined group”.

If they are doing running on the side, then I’ll definitely check it out. Thank you.

Some of the guys on there have finished multiple IMs and have traveled around the world to just to compete.

It may not be a running group and it may not be in the right city, but (I hope) you’re in the right direction.

Most of the time, triathletes have run days on which they run only. I don’t know any tri clubs in Taichung. I could point you in the right direction in Taipei, but not there. Sorry.

Maybe post here (I imagine in English would be fine):

Just suggesting socializing with a running social group will help meet runners and then find other running clubs. Enjoy.

1 Like

OP, if our suggestions don’t work out.

Try heading to a specialty shop and meet people there.

I won’t lie, it took me a solid year to find a cycling group in Taipei after my friends who got me into cycling had left and went back home. Hunt for the right group of people is a marathon…not a sprint. :smiley:

1 Like

have you found a running club yet? I found one on facebook " Nike Running Club in Tiger City Taichung" but i was just searching and saw it.

There are many races in Taiwan that you can participate. This is the link https://www.sportsnet.org.tw/schedule.php
It is not completely translated but you can use google translate or download the app called pleco. Pleco is extremely helpful.
I hope you find a running club!