Running machine or mini trampoline?

I have a mini trampoline. I like it, but I can only really do running on the spot on it. If I jump with feet together for too long, it will break. The ones on sale here aren’t really made for adults.

Anyway, running on the spot is OK. But I have the chance to buy a running machine for a good price. It is nearly new and the price when new was 25,000NT. The guy wants 10,000NT for it (friend of a friend and he said I can have a trial period, so I’m not worried about being ripped off).

10,000NT is still a fair amount of money. So which of these two options is better from an cardiovascular exercise point of view – running machine or trampoline? I need moderate weight-bearing exercise as I’m still trying to increase my bone density as it wasn’t so good a few years back. Is the trampoline enough?

Thanks for any ideas.

Joe,
Can’t you just get a girlfriend? Cheaper than a treadmill, more fun, and you’re less likely to give up your exercise routine.

Why not go with the free trial of the treadmill? Much better than jumping up and down.

Mini-trampolines or ‘Rebounders’ have been shown to be amazingly beneficial for ones health…in some unexpected ways.

healingdaily.com/exercise/he … unding.htm
breathing.com/rebounder.htm

They create a negative gravity effect thats supposed to have very good health results.

For cardio, my bet is on a stationary bike, fast walking or the running machine if yr knees are OK with the repetitive motions.

Thanks AJ and TC.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Mini-trampolines or ‘Rebounders’ have been shown to be amazingly beneficial for ones health…in some unexpected ways.

healingdaily.com/exercise/he … unding.htm
breathing.com/rebounder.htm

They create a negative gravity effect thats supposed to have very good health results.

For cardio, my bet is on a stationary bike, fast walking or the running machine if yr knees are OK with the repetitive motions.[/quote]The trampolines are good. I think they’re OK for cardio too. At least I feel that my heart rate goes up a fair bit.

Trouble is I can’t really get the full benefits because it seems that the ones sold here are only rated for kids. I can use it properly (jumping) for a few months then the springs go. Already broken one trampoline and the one I have has a spring gone.

What do you reckon about the weight-bearing thing? I know that running’s OK for that but as you say it’s not great for the knees. So I’m wondering whether the trampoline is OK in terms of moderate weight bearing too. I’m not sure whether it has to be high-impact like running or whether the softer impact of the trampline is OK too.

(The reason I know that my bone density was low is that a few years ago I was a guinea pig for a friend’s research into total body water measurement methods. The control method was using one of those big bone density scanning machines – apparently it’s good for measuring TBW too.)

Joe, for 10 000 NT you can get a very good, brand new, bicycle at Giant, or for a few more NT you can buy a year-long membership at a gym where you will have the use of a variety of exercise equipment. I highly recommend either of those options.

[quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”]Joe, for 10 000 NT you can get a very good, brand new, bicycle at Giant, or for a few more NT you can buy a year-long membership at a gym where you will have the use of a variety of exercise equipment. I highly recommend either of those options.[/quote]Thanks Dr Z. I’ve thought about both of those options, but the first involves breathing lots of rubbish, sweating profusely and and putting up with some inconvenience, and the second is inconvenient too.

If I exercise at home I can control the air quality, watch what I want on TV and I’m just more likely to get round to doing it it day in day out. It’s working alright so far. I don’t do major exercise. Just something to make me slightly healthier – about 15 minutes a day, most days.

Joesax -
From what I’ve seen regarding improving bone density, the key is as you’ve mentioned - resistance/load bearing exercise is what looks to be the best for increasing bone density.
And, iirc, moderate excercises are effective for this. Of course correct nutrition and providing the body with supplemental and bio-available calcium is a big plus.

Fortunately this is a well-researched area. Lots of good info available on the net.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Joesax -
From what I’ve seen regarding improving bone density, the key is as you’ve mentioned - resistance/load bearing exercise is what looks to be the best for increasing bone density.
And, iirc, moderate excercises are effective for this. Of course correct nutrition and providing the body with supplemental and bio-available calcium is a big plus.

Fortunately this is a well-researched area. Lots of good info available on the net.[/quote]Yes, I’ll read up on this. Thinking about it, the trampoline could actually be putting more weight on my bones despite the softer initial impact. Trampolining moves the body weight up and down a lot more than running (and probably more than AJ’s suggestion too :laughing: .)

Has anyone seen decent quality rebounders/mini trampolines for sale here? I bought mine from Carrefour. I went to a gym shop but they were selling basically the same thing and didn’t want to sell one to me because they’re only rated for kids. (They’re rated for 100kg which is a fair bit more than my body weight, but they still break after a few months.)