Running outside in Taipei - Air?

Hello,

I was wondering if there are places one can jog/run outside in Taipei for exercise.

I have heard rumors that the air pollution is so bad, that it will actually negatively
impact your health to run outside… Sounds a little far fetched to me, but I don’t
live there yet…

Does anyone here live in the Taipei area and regular run outside?

Would anyone recommend sticking to indoor gyms instead?

Opinions appreciated!

[quote=“Harvey”]Hello,

I was wondering if there are places one can jog/run outside in Taipei for exercise.

I have heard rumors that the air pollution is so bad, that it will actually negatively
impact your health to run outside… Sounds a little far fetched to me, but I don’t
live there yet…

Opinions appreciated![/quote]I don’t think the air’s that bad in Taipei. And anyway, I don’t see why the air in a gym would necessarily be cleaner than the air on a school sports field or next to one of the rivers – both of which are quite common places to run I think.

I often go jogging on the track in the nearby school and haven’t noticed the air quality to be too poor. However, when there’s a dust storm drifting down from the mainland, it’s advisable not to exercise outdoors. Those storms are infrequent and usually last a couple of days at most. The air in the riverside parks is good, but I prefer to run on the soft surface of the track.

[quote=“Harvey”]Hello,

live there yet…

Opinions appreciated![/quote]

The air has improved dramatically in the past 5 years but old rumors persits. Jog at night after 8 or 9 (or early morning) and the air is usually fine as pollution is entirely the by-product of cars in Taipei. gte away from cars and you’re fine.

I jog along the dikes in Muzha near the zoo, and also up in the university grounds where no cars are allowed. Air is great and it’s a nice tree-lined route with crickets and owls in the evening calling out.

Do be aware of bad air days as they happen either because of a sandstorm or an inversion. You can usually tell because the air is still and doesn’t smelll good even in the late evening. Summer is a great tiem to jog as we get afternoon showers almost every day which cools down the air and also gets rid of all the pollution.

So in general, jog outside but be aware of bad days.

I don’t know where you guys are coming from, but where I come from, the air is MUCH better. I would still go jogging outside here, though, maybe not every day.

Thanks for all the opinions guys, this was helpful!