Running your own website?

I’m looking at running a website on my pc…

What do you think of the servers by xitami and omnicron and savant 3.1?

I can’t currently run apache because I can’t get Linux working so apache seems to be out.

Kenneth

Depends on the website. If you want something simple, Xitami seemed to work ok last time I tried it (about two years ago).

I’d really suggest getting OpenBSD, though. They have a pretty solid record for delivering a secure OS installation. If you don’t know UNIX, don’t feel intimidated; it’s not that hard to pick up. You can run Apache then, and will have the most options available. (Or get Linux working – why didn’t it work for you?? – if you need something really heavy, like Oracle, in the background.)

Thanks for the suggestion. But I’m completely at sea in a world of OpenBSD, though I might give it a try if I have time…! :slight_smile:

I like the security aspects…

Linux wouldn’t boot, but when it did, I couldn’t configure the setup to display properly. I clearly don’t know enough to get it up and running. Once running, though, I will find it quick to learn.

Still a baby in the Net world

Kenneth

Most Linux variants nowadays are rather user-friendly. You shouldn’t have too much trouble installing/running most of them. Besides, if you have access to high speed Internet, what’s stopping you from asking questions or learning more about Linux?! :slight_smile:

As for Apache, you don’t necessarily need Linux to run it (OS security aside). It’s got versions for most OSes these days. You can probably install a Windows version on your machine to test it out first and see how “flat file” configuration works and such.

Good luck.

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]Thanks for the suggestion. But I’m completely at sea in a world of OpenBSD, though I might give it a try if I have time…! :slight_smile:

I like the security aspects…[/quote]
That’s really the key issue on the net – when you are running your very own website from your very own machine, your machine is at risk all the time. Microsoft’s OSes stink, security-wise (and plenty of other ways, for that matter!).

OpenBSD really isn’t much different from Linux, at least when you’re comparing it to Windows.

Which distribution were you using? Some of them go so far in the direction of hackerish configurability that beginners can’t get them started. IMHO Mandrake is pretty good for setting defaults and being beginner-friendly. mandrakesoft.com/