Russian Stalichnaya Salad and Soup(borsh)

Do anybody know how to make russian stalichnaya salad and soup(borsh)

I hope someone comes up with the recipe because it sounds good to me. Vodka salad…sounds interesting.

There’s probably as many borscht recipes as there are Slavic families but basically you boil a few potatoes until just tender.
Meanwhile sautee some onions, carrots and celery until they begin to brown, add some good stock and simmer the veggies until they’re just tender. Add some sliced beets along with the brine they come in (no idea where you can get them here though) and simmer for a bit more. Season with salt & pepper.

Chop the spuds roughly, put them in a soup bowl and pour the soup over them. Finish with a swirl of sour cream and a scattering of chopped chives and dillweed.

The salad I don’t know – I’ve never even heard of it.

Red beets - sliced, I guess - would pickled do?

Have seen those a few times in Tesco.

Red beets - sliced, I guess - would pickled do?

Have seen those a few times in Tesco.[/quote]
I have a jar of those in the fridge but I wouldn’t recommend putting them in soup – it would be hell of a vinegary I think.

What is that salad supposed to taste and look like? Beets? Garlic? Pickles? Sour cream or vinegar?

Edit: I just realised I posted in the Food Forum!!! :wall: What’s happening to me???
BTW, the way I cook borcht is like this: take a can of borcht, add the same amount of water and boil for 5 minutes. Tastes like good borcht with a little bit too much of sodium glutamate. Can’t buy it in Taiwan though.

Coming from Kootenay Country which has a large Doukhobour population, I learned to make vegetarian borscht. This recipe is great for cool winter evenings and although a bit time consuming, it is quite easy to make.
I only make it in large quantities so unless you plan to give quite a bit away you’ll have to break it down.

Doukhobour Borscht.

Boil together in large pot until tender:

2 medium red beets, scrubbed and cut in half
Roughly 20 cups water
28 ounces canned tomatoes, including liquid,mashed
9-10 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered

Meanwhile…

In a frypan melt roughly 6 tablespoons of butter and add:

3 carrots, shredded
2 medium onions, chopped small
1 head of cabbage, shredded
3-4 ribs of celery, sliced
1 green pepper, chopped finely (remove the seeds!)
1 tablespoon salt

Fry this all up together until fairly tender.

Remove about 2/3 of the potatoes from the big pot and cut into small chunks, adding them to the frypan contents, frying it up a little longer.

Remove the beets from the big pot and discard them.
Mash the remaining potatoes in the big pot, then add the contents of the frypan to the tomato/ mashed potato mixture.

Add:

1 - 3 cups whipping cream (you can reduce this to 1/2 - 1 cup)
4 tablespoons dried dill weed or 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh dill
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Simmer slowly stirring gently about 1/2 hour.

This will make about 24 servings. It CAN be frozen but tends to lose something in the process, I think.