Russians attacking CIA agents with stealthy microwave weapons

A small microwave array can easily to used to target someone in a building across the street. I’m amazed this kind of weapon hasn’t been made aware to the public yet.

Yes this has been going on for a very long time.

See “Moscow Signal” circa 1953-1976.

It was the first “Invisible Threat”.

This began happening in 2016. There were discussions as to if it were a sonic or microwave weapon then. Not sure when the weapons were actually first developed. This is mostly just rehash to add content making Trump look bad.

1 Like

I wonder how does one protect against this? Do they have to start wearing “Magneto” style helmets to prevent brain damage from the microwaves?

3 Likes

It’s in GQ.

1 Like

The article pointed out there was an attack carried out when CIA personnel accompanied US officials to Taiwan. That is really recent. Also, it took place in Taiwan.

This makes me think it’s not actually Russia doing it – it fits more with China’s ramping up of activities since 2016. But who knows, just hope this kind of stuff stops.

It seems pretty normal for China to copy what the Russians are doing.

I got as far as here.

Polymeropoulos arrived in Moscow at the end of Donald Trump’s first, chaotic year in the White House. Shortly before Trump was inaugurated, the intelligence community released its conclusions that the Russian government had successfully meddled in the 2016 presidential election. It was the kind of high-confidence, public assessment that rarely came out of the fractious world of U.S. intelligence.

The article set it up in the beginning as a “why hasn’t Trump, who is in love with Russia done more”, but at this point it confirms it. ICA is widely thought by many to be a partisan tool for the intelligence to kick start investigations into Trump and for Obama to justify taking actions against Russia.

It’s also being looked into by Durham. What Trumps relationship is like with the CIA is hard to gauge, Gina Haspel is currently being accused of blocking documents that would illuminate what happened in 2016 and yet, despite knowing she was station chief in London and being aware she would have been at ground zero for Obamas spying operation on Trump, she was made head of the CIA.

1 Like

I imagine most countries have experimented with this sort of thing. The technology is not dissimilar to a phased-array radar. OTOH I’m not convinced you can target it precisely enough to pick out one person in a room (as the article relates) without affecting others. Nor would the equipment be pocket-sized; I would guess 100-300 watts of power to cause noticable effects. Two or three times that would cause permanent and severe damage (via dielectric heating), easily spotted with standard diagnostic equipment. I imagine it would not be man-portable either, because the operator would be harmed by the radiation.

Yep. Example - in 2010 the CIA suffered the worst loss since the Cold War when China systematically dismantled US Spy Operations in China. Up to 20 spies working for the US were captured or killed in a short timeframe due to a mole. Obama remarked at the time why information stopped coming in from China. In topics of IP and espionage during press briefings later, Xi Jinping used his catchphrase “we should increase cooperation and not politicize it”. (Xi repeats this every time China commits some crazy act, i.e. coronavirus hint hint).

China basically walking in Soviet Russia’s footsteps with massive Spy operations. The story is pretty wild if you want to read more about it - they might even make a movie on it if China allows Hollywood to do it:
(cached link since it was moved to paywall)

Opinion | The saga of the Chinese mole reads like a spy thriller - The Washington Post

I can think of one reason why they haven’t said more, anyway. Doesn’t seem like it would be rocket science.

You mean the Trump administration? Let me guess because he fears Putin will release pee pee tapes of Russian prostitutes peeing on a bed in Moscow?

1 Like

Uhhh no. Because we’re doing it back.

1 Like