Safari 5 "Reading" Mode

Just got Safari 5 for OSX. The Safari 5 reading mode is interesting because it eliminates ads using some unknown algorithm.

Many of which are served… by Google.

And Apple has iAds that they’ve sold a good amount of inventory for already.

1. Collect iUnderpants.
  2. ?
  3. Profit.

Seems like a logical next step…

Thoughts?

They are indirectly suggesting that people make apps over “Flashy” websites.

I think this ad war could turn into a regulatory shitstorm with the new dev agreement. The language is something like “Ad statistics must be sent to an independent company. Not one that makes any mobile phones, or mobile OS.” Thus google’s ads can no longer work on iPhone. But technically those words should make iAds against terms of service as well.

I believe there is an “except for Apple” part in there. :ponder:

That part might get them into trouble.

The iPad Pulse app (which is great, btw, check it out), also effectively strips ads by reading the feed data and finding pictures on the page and re-rendering it in a “reading” format. Jobs showed off this app at WWDC. If this propagates (which it is - it’s #1 right now in the app store), it’s another way of keeping ads that aren’t served by iAds from the eyeballs of the lucrative iPad and iPhone user demographic.

I thought it was pulled down already
kara.allthingsd.com/20100608/pop … complaint/

[quote=“djlowballer”]I thought it was pulled down already
kara.allthingsd.com/20100608/pop … complaint/[/quote]

it’s back up and has been since yesterday. it’s also #1 in the store right now.

So newsreaders are new to the app store? I don’t understand what makes pulse different.

A few things:

1. It’s actually really really good. Really good
  2. It was built in a month by a few Stanford students in a class on building iOS apps, which helped it get press, both because it’s really really good and the feel-good story behind it
  3. It got TechCrunched
  4. Steve Jobs endorsed it by showing it at WWDC
  5. It’s at number 1 in the app store, and the whole name of the game in the app store is to get on top of that chart.

It’s also an iPad app. Which is a full-size browser and probably becoming the main way iPad owners consume written news. But, if users just start using Pulse and other news native-apps by default to read all their news rather than the browser, it sorta strengthens Apples iAd play.

A few things:

1. It’s actually really really good. Really good
  2. It was built in a month by a few Stanford students in a class on building iOS apps, which helped it get press, both because it’s really really good and the feel-good story behind it
  3. It got TechCrunched
  4. Steve Jobs endorsed it by showing it at WWDC
  5. It’s at number 1 in the app store, and the whole name of the game in the app store is to get on top of that chart.

It’s also an iPad app. Which is a full-size browser probably becoming the main way iPad owners consume written news. But, if users just start using Pulse and other news native-apps by default to read all their news rather than the browser, it sorta strengthens Apples iAd play.