Safety for women in Taiwan

I’ve been legit sexually harassed by non-crazy or mentally handicapped men on a number of occasions, but it hasn’t happened for a long, long time. I guess I was a lot cuter then.

5 Likes

I have had women slap my ass or grab my groin area in bars and clubs. Can’t say I was too disturbed by it. I’m not sure why that is. Is it because I’m conditioned to think sexual harassment is when a man does it to a woman or is it really not that big of a deal.

The women that did these things seem very glee about it from what I remember. Usually laughing with her friends cheering on this behavior. It doesn’t really bother me but I have to wonder why this would be so different if it was the other way around.

3 Likes

Cause we’re expected to like it and rejecting it is considered weird or gay.

2 Likes

No, that is not disturbing :slight_smile: I think men in general (or straight men at least?) won’t find that a big deal unless it becomes really intense. And probably not then :slight_smile:

Anyway in my initial comment I was talking about not having to worry about being mugged or something. La la land, exactly

1 Like

I would probably like it if it was someone extremely attractive. Unfortunately none of the ones that I remember doing this were that. Usually decent to not my vegetables at all kind of type. It happens a lot from bachelorette parties.

2 Likes

OK, maybe I was wrong!

Women are so smart. :joy:

1 Like

Men who do get sexually assaulted are often dismissed by friends and authority figures.

We’re apparently supposed to like it.

I guess I have been too. Now that I’m getting on in age it’s happening a lot less, but let’s say early in my uni teaching career a few female students made me uncomfortable with their persistant interest in me that was totally unrelated to my teaching prowess. There are stories I could tell which I won’t, and it was never reciprocated.

1 Like

They got confused and thought it was language exchange.

5 Likes

That sounds a lot heavier than what Andrew suggested, although it could be termed sexual assault strictly speaking I guess. Anyway, only speaking for myself then.

Like if a male teacher has an affair with a female student it’s horrible, but if a female teacher has affair with a male student, he’s a lucky bastard.

As long as it’s not Shawshank style prison rape, it’s usually seen as a good thing

It sounds like it’s a good thing at the time (boasting to your friends, getting experience early, etc), but then creates emotional and mental issues for the victim later on in life, especially when they reach adulthood and reflect on the experience. ‘The Reader’ is a good book which explores these themes.

1 Like

Like this:

Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. :2cents:

Some guesses would be: power imbalance between men and women in the larger society; power imbalance between an individual man and woman in terms of physical strength or perceived threat; the inversion of expected social norms which commonly hold that men are aggressive while women are reserved.

All of these elements will lead a woman to say “Come on, you knew it was just a joke. What are you so upset about?” Whereas if a man performs the same action it is seen as a legitimate threat or offense.

Edit to add: I was just trying to answer your hypothetical question, not presenting my personal point of view. I personally would be offended if anyone (of any gender) grabbed my ass!

This list looks pretty reasonable: Crime Index

Except specifically for women I would give a penalty to the Arab countries for the treatment given to women there (even if its safe walking around as single women in Doha can feel uncomfortable at night). So I would place Taipei as #1 on the list. At least I cannot think of a large city safer than Taipei is to walk around at night anywhere in the world.

I tried to do something and was asked to leave. Tough scene out there for a conscientious teacher.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a horrible cycle. Girls are taught, either directly or indirectly, that guys like such things. Girls who don’t grow up having real conversations with boys don’t always learn that this isn’t true. Some can infer it on their own after a few rounds with life experiences, but not everybody makes those connections. (Also boys who never really have real talks with girls learn a lot of toxic, false sex/relationship stuff, too, but that’s not the point of this thread).

I think the younger generations are phasing out the whole ‘UR homo bcz u dont like evri garl tuch u paniss’ BS. Or perhaps I hope.

2 Likes

I’m glad to be old then. :heart: