Safety in Phuket, Thailand

So I’m going for Muay thai training in December. the camp i’m going to has a fitness camp thats not for muay thai and girl friend is interested in getting more fit. And I suspect keeping an eye on me in phuket :joy:

But she is wondering about the safety of thailand. Her family is very well off. They have a body guard when they travel in some countries and a bullet proof car lol. So she is worried her family won’t allow her to go. Obviously I will be there, but I’m busy with my muay thai thing and cant keep an eye on her at all times. People that have been there. Is phuket pretty safe? I would suspect Bangkok would be more dangerous, but phuket seems like a very touristy area.

It’s probably not the safest place in the world, but hardly the worst. Traffic and swimming are the most dangerous things I’m sure. Keep your wits about you and stay away from obvious trouble situations and you should be fine.

Just tell her and her family that according to the current Prime Minister, the safety of attractive females cannot be guaranteed as long they wear bikinis.

(The woman whose death he was apologizing for was not wearing a bikini iirc.)

huh?

Thailand is probably safer then the Philippines (maybe) but she should bring a couple body guards with her.

Armed is better.

BODYGUARDS > NO BODYGUARDS**

But you probably can leave the bulletproof car(s) at home. Fingers crossed for you two.

**all my knowledge is based on Kanye West tweets

1 Like

I personally do not want body guards. She just all of sudden wants to come along to do the fitness boot camp. I don’t think she’s too concern with her safety but her parents are the ones that are concern with the place being dangerous.

Foreigners are targets of scams and crime in Thailand, but as long as you take basic precautions you should be fine. Tell her to leave any designer clothes/bags/jewelry at home. As long as you dress and act low key, the chances of making yourselves a target are pretty low. And never, ever accept any drinks or food from strangers (not in a restaurant, that is). Tuk-tuk drivers are also often in on scams, so best to avoid them if possible. You may notice that locals never take them–their whole business is based on separating tourists from their money.

1 Like

Correction:
Foreigners are targets of scams and crime in any third world country (or any banana republic)

Thanks for the clarification! I’m sure you saved the OP from considerable confusion :grin:

In general Phuket is safe , millions of tourists including many families go there every year. The military cleaned it up as well to some degree. They have plush resorts, big hotels, boutique hotels and apartment rentals.
A few bits are a little seedy but it’s pretty obvious where they are. It’s actually quite developed. The taxi drivers rip off people but if she has money then not a problem.
Just make yourselves look like regular tourists and backpackers.
She can do some diving or snorkeling ir cooking or some other activities while there.

For the exact quote, look up Prayuth + bikini.

I just came back from Phuket yesterday. Yes. I survived!
What area/beach do you stay?
Overall it is safe - as mentioned before- like everywhere else in that touristy world.
Most dangerous is probably the traffic.
Most annoying is probably the costs and negotiations for taxis and tuktuk. I prefered to rent a car (about THB 1100/day. THB and NTD is quite simmilar by the way)
Maybe avoid to rent a water scoter because its number 1 scam as I heard.

Oh! Really no bodyguard needed. But I dont know who your girlfriend is.

This guy approached her but she refused to talk to him. Later he raped and murdered her.

In German: