Sailing in Tainan, 28 Feb

This just in from Captain Kao…

[quote] Oh! Yes! We have a sailboat racing game in Sinda Harbor on Saturday 28 February , actually it’s not a real racing, but more like a party, there are 9~10 sailboats will sailing in Sinda Harbor, my boat will be there, and all of you are welcome if you want to join our party and sailing on that day.

our party will start from 1:30 pm and End by 8 pm, and it’s for free, if you are interest, you could take the High Speed Train to Tainan,

then transfer by taxi to the lover wharf of Sinda Harbor.

the location of Sinda Harbor
N:22’ 52. 275’
E:120’12.377’[/quote]

I can’t make it. Burnt my hand so can’t hold ropes or get wet. Have fun if you go.

Is this open to anyone, of any skill level (including zero)?

Would it be reasonable to mention it to one or two of my classes at a nearby university? (They’ve done Hemingway’s “The Old Man and The Sea” and think it couldn’t get any worse. This old man would like to prove them wrong)

Sorry for double post. VERY slow response and I thought it had failed

[quote=“Ducked”]Is this open to anyone, of any skill level (including zero)?

Would it be reasonable to mention it to one or two of my classes at a nearby university? (They’ve done Hemingway’s “The Old Man and The Sea” and think it couldn’t get any worse. This old man would like to prove them wrong)[/quote]

Sorry, the post is just an email cut and pasted in. I assume he meant that all the addressees were invited, but doubt that 500 students would all be welcome on his little boat all at once.

On the other hand, the purpose of the event is to be visible. They’re having some kind of party and I believe the sailing is taking place inside the harbour where it is visible from shore. All the boats will be tied up before afterwards and the crews and friends will be milling around being enthusiastic. I imagine that any student, wannabe, rubbernecker, etc will be welcome to make friends. Bring something to BBQ! They’re out to promote the sport, so go get promoted.

If you have connections with the uni then why not invite Kao to come and talk to the students? He sailed single-handed from San Diego to Taiwan, a nice inspirational story for the young 'uns. His email is hellokittykao@gmail.com

Check out some pics too

Fair enough, though I think the inertia of Taiwanese students (mine anyway) would keep the numbers in the very low 10’s or lower, even if a boatride were on offer. Spectating a race is less of a draw but I’ll mention it anyway.

I’d kind of assumed the 10 boats mentioned were likely to be dinghies rather than the keelboat pictured, which I wouldn’t expect novices to be allowed to play with.