Sailing in Taiwan

Hello, I love sailing and just assumed that with Taiwan being surrounded by water that there would be lots of oppurtunities for sailing. Unfortunatly, I haven’t found any.

Does anyone know where I can go to go sailing? I tried Fu-Lung beach, but you had to be a member.

Thanks for you help,
-Ian

I recently heard there was a sailing club around at one of the little islands near Keelung. I’m trying to find out about it for personal interest, but you know, these things tend to take some time… I’ll keep you posted of any discoveries.

Thanks, Do you know how to get to the islands? Can you fly, or do you have to take a boat? Please let me know what you find out,

Thanks

I believe that this is a leftover of the ‘martial law’ because of the proximity of China, authorities banned any kind of private ownership of boats. Thus there is no official 'recreational oceanfaring vehicle in Taiwan. Only official ‘fishing vesels’.

Kinda ironic, because the recreational shipbuilding industry is of a decent size here and all geared towards export!

Also, let us know about these sailing clubs! Thanks

[quote=“BBC”]I believe that this is a leftover of the ‘martial law’ because of the proximity of China, authorities banned any kind of private ownership of boats. Thus there is no official 'recreational oceanfaring vehicle in Taiwan. Only official ‘fishing vesels’.[/quote] Not sure about that as there are cruise boats operating out of various ports. They aren’t allowed to dock anywhere else, just out and back. So far it’s all commercial ops and the excuse for that is there are no berths available anywhere for pleasure boats.
You can go out on an overnight fishing trip on a boat from many of the small harbors on the north coast, just have to leave your passport or some ID (ARC?) with the harbormaster.
Yes, there are a very few sailboats operating off the north coast, but I think it’s closely guarded by the boat owners… lot of keel scraping etc to get in on the action. My advice is to get out to the harbors from Fulong to Green Bay and ask around, and ask some more…

Here is a personal Homepage (English) introducing surfing in Taiwan:
jasontsai.com/

Official Surfing Organization in Taiwan:
sailing.org.tw/

Have fun!

This Month in Taiwan - that most up to date of periodicals lists

Taipei Sailing Club

and

Taiwan Yacht Association

This is probably way out of date as is most of the info. But let us know how you get on.

I just read this article about sailing in Taiwan. Unfortunately, it seems to focus on windsurfing, instead of boats, so the question is still unanswered.
taipeitimes.com/news/2002/10/22/story/0000176723
There’s more than a little irony in thedifficulty posed by those people such as ourselves who want to sail in Taiwan, reading the abovementioned article that claims the government is actually “promoting” sailing in Taiwan…

So, on that note, does anyone know anything about “kitesurfing”? A friend of mine has taken it up in Timor and says its a great activity.

Ian, I’m still looking for that contact info.

Cheers,

Babou.

I guess this topic goes in here?

We started a sail training program recently, and will be taking in new groups of students over the next few months.

Taiwanese interested in learning to sail, and willing to commit at least 2 Sundays per month, are welcome to PM me for details. You need to be reasonably fit and healthy, but this is not a sport for supermen. Costs are minimal. Male or female, it’s all the same to me.

Foreigners with skills to contribute are also invited to get involved. If we can get enough qualified people into the program it is possible to put several more boats into the water.

We DON’T need any more novices from overseas, thanks. The objective is to develop sailing as a sport in Taiwan, so places are limited to locals or people with something to offer.

Strange message to place on a predominantly foreigner website, isn’t it?
“Wanna go sailing? Foreigners need not apply.” Thanks a bunch. :unamused:

Not really. Some of the people here might know some Taiwanese people who may be interested. I do.

And one of the current trainees, now a good friend, is the result of a posting here a long time ago.

And there might be foreigners out there who have something to offer, n’est ce pas? By something to offer I mean that they can go sailing, and teach what they know. That’s how I learned, and that’s what I do now.

Should I refrain from posting information that some people might be glad of? Or should I go back to tealit and have to deal with hordes more English teachers who want to have a bit of fun on the water while they’re shagging their way across Taiwan?

And why are you being so bloody rude, after PMing me in search of info? You’re implying that I’m excluding ALL foreigners, but you didn’t PM on behalf of a Taiwanese did you?

To clarify: Citizens of this country that has treated me pretty well, who want to try something different, are welcome to learn what they can from me and others at no charge. I would be delighted to hear that there are other foreigners who are also able and willing to share their experience.

I was bloody rude and I apologise. Spur of the moment thing. Won’t happen again.

Where does this activity take place? I have a bit of sailing experience, but the last time I captained a small sailing boat was a few years back. Would like to spend a Sunday on the water once in a while.

Apologies accepted, Herr Sandman. Do it again and I’ll have you keelhauled.

Mr He, we currently operate out of a small port at Wanli, north of Jilong. A bit of a trek for you, but I used to find my way from Zhongli pretty regularly. PM me and I’ll put you in touch with the boss.

I once won a can of coke for tying a bowline behind my back the quickest of any of the Junior Sailing Club members of the rather prestigious and a little snobby Gurnard Sailing Club on the Isle of Wight.

It’s all gone now and I could barely manage a slip knot tying some stuff on a blue truck the other night. I’m afraid you’ll have to count me out, but have a good one guys - sounds like a great idea.

If I could provide two Taiwanese women with a little bit of experience (have been on a few multi-day trips, can steer to a bearing, night sailing) and a German bloke with fluent English and Chinese (different bloke from the skipper I was telling you about) who’s passed various tests including taking a boat into port and mooring under engine power, would I be allowed to join in? I can tie a bowline and have crewed on one of those 40-foot Sun Odysseys.

What about a foreigner married to a Taiwanese citizen and living here who wants to learn sailing? Go to New Zealand or Australia?

Don’t fear landlubbers,
You sailing virgins are welcome on my craft. I’m moving up to Taipei County after Chinese New Year 2004 and will be building a boat. It will be ready early summer 2004.
Of course, I won’t be taking just anyone. I have some pretty strict requirements; all sailors will have to be prolific swearers, able to handle a few pints, and willing to stare death in the face and tell it to sod off.

Much as I hate American English, there are times when it’s the only way to adequately express what you’re thinking. So, if I may proceed…

Fuckin’ A!!! :smiling_imp:

Every sailor’s dream!! You’re in.

Bottleneck: Hmm, bring an enthusiastic wife and you have a chance. ‘My crew’ is all female to date, but there’s only 8 of them.

The decision is not mine, but I’m advising the Laoban to take all comers at this time. Later there will be (if I have my way) an A and a B list.

Babou: I got my second spot on a proper race boat (San Diego, see below.) by demanding that I not be treated as ballast. The technical term, btw, is railmeat. PM to negotiate your way onto the B list.

This photo courtesy of da-woody. I’m in there somewhere on Silhouette.

Almas: How fucking prolific do you want? I only drink bacardi these days, but can handle a few pints if you put coke in, check the ‘scariest stories’ thread for staring death in the face. Btw, I’d be interested in hearing about your boat-building plans. I’m thinking that way myself.

Anyone else? Any Taiwanese?

Remember, this is not my gig and these are not my boats. I don’t make the rules, I just try to make the most of the existing situation. The laoban is the nicest guy in Taiwan, and one of the top ten in the universe as far as I know, but we all have our agendas. Don’t give me shit about the pro-TW bias, bring friends!!!

I’ll be in touch as soon as I can hook up with one of the ladies I mentioned. She just got back last week from a year in Germany and a month’s cruising around Rhodes, plus, she lives in Taichung, so she might not be quite settled in just yet. Also, can you give a rough estimate as to the costs involved?