Salary in Banking/Finance

They still have trading offices all over so people can walk in and trade, yes very archaic.
But this is coming from a place where people must line up to update their bankbooks for crying out loud. And where customers line up for an hour to make a deposit at Taiwan bank. So you can guess how up to date the banking sector is.

Compare to Korea where everything is automated and credit cards accepted everywhere.

I guess banks here make a lot of money (like CTBC 42 billion profit), so not much incentive to change, Korea has gone (before but now is good) through some difficult times (banking) so reform/change is easier if your not profitable 20210325151210135751023_en.pdf (ctbcholding.com)

About local salaries at local banks, it used be a bank job was thought as being good and people would work there even if the salary was lower a bit like a city hall job and bank could still attract clever people at lower wages. But from my recent bank dealing the younger staff at the bank it seems they are as not as clever as before and in fact Family Mart staff can work faster in paying bills while shipping your package via UPS and make you an espresso all within a minute.

1 Like

I have no stats but CTBC is probably profitable from all the loans they give out to large businesses along with their large investment and insurance business. Taiwanese save a lot so there are probably a small but loaded group of whales that keep them profiting. Even with archaic banking systems, the old people are still lined up to put in their NT.

OBUs

Don’t disagree with the sentiment, but this does seem to be changing a bit over the past year or so. My wife does all her trading on her phone, can trade single shares (used to be blocks only I believe), has access to many US securities (fees still too high but getting better), etc.

It’s getting a little better. Some banks no longer issue paper bankbooks/passbooks that are updated by dot matrix printers. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Come on. You can make money and probably more by entering the 21st century and being efficient. Are banks like chase citi Barclays losing money ?

My monthly “sort of” statement, just got updated from an dot matrix printout to a more modern looking printout in the last few months. It’s all up from here…

1 Like

I love those old printers… while I wait in line to take out some money and a business owner is standing there with 10 different bankbooks to update.
Re Re Re Re Re Re … insert next page… Re Re Re Re Re… insert next page.
Then they finish and im breathing a sigh of relief that finally I can get my money and out comes another book to update. :upside_down_face:

So maybe the resistance to change of Taiwanese banks will be solved not by government policy but by manufacturers saying no more dot matrix printers or ribbons available.

What did you learn from the recruiters?

2 Likes