Salary, taxes, visa card

Hi!
I am going to work in ChungLi the next year and I have several questions about that.
The laboratory where I must work says to me I have to pay 6% taxes every year. But after discussing with a french on another forum, it seems I have to pay 20% taxes (that’s only for foreigners). Could you say me more about that?
He said also that it’s impossible to get a visa card in Taiwan? Why? Is that right?
Thanks for your help!
Chris

[quote=“naunau”]Hi!
I am going to work in Chungli (Zhongli) the next year and I have several questions about that.
The laboratory where I must work says to me I have to pay 6% taxes every year. But after discussing with a french on another forum, it seems I have to pay 20% taxes (that’s only for foreigners). Could you say me more about that?[/quote]
I believe that your employer will deduct 20% flat but you can later make your tax declaration and possibly get a refund. How much you eventually pay will depend on your income.

[quote]He said also that it’s impossible to get a visa card in Taiwan? Why? Is that right?
Thanks for your help!
Chris[/quote]
Not impossible but it’s difficult due to some rather stupid banking regulations here. See this thread for more details: Credit cards: current situation?

See this topic on the difference between non-resident and resident tax rates: [[Income Taxes] 183 day Rule

Also unless your salary is very low, you are unlikely to pay only 6% tax. Most white collar foreign professionals pay somewhere around 10% or higher.

I have found that:

Foreign workers should pay income tax on wages earned in Taiwan according to the following regulations:
A. If a foreign worker has worked in Taiwan for less than 183 days in one fiscal year (January 1 to December 31) then the foreign worker should be paying the tax of a non-resident, which is equivalent to 20% of the taxable income. If the foreign worker worked in Taiwan for more than 183 days (or if the foreign worker entered Taiwan before July 1 and did not leave the country anytime within the year), or if the foreign worker has stayed in Taiwan for 183 days in the preceding year and is continuing his/her residence, then he/she shall be considered as a resident and shall be taxed 6% to 10% of his/her taxable income.
B. If the amount of a foreign worker’s income tax does not exceed NT$2,000 a month, he/she may opt not to let his/her employer deduct income tax from his/her salary. However, he/she is still liable to pay income tax in accordance with the law…
C. After coming to the ROC to work, the foreign worker must pay income tax. The application of income tax for the preceding year shall e from May 1 to May 31 of the succeeding year. If the foreign worker exits the country anytime in the middle of the year, he/she shall pay his/her income tax a week before his/her expected departure date. The tax office of the foreign worker’s district shall handle his/her tax refund. Processing time for tax refund shall be within four months. Tax refund checks shall then be released. Should a foreign worker need details related to his/her tax refund, he/she could request for it when he/she comes to claim his/her tax refund check…
D. If a foreign worker forgets or misreports his/her income tax in the ROC, he/she shall be fined twice the amount of his/her income tax. If he/she is a tax evader, he/she shall be fined more than thrice his/her income tax amount.