Salmon Sushi Shortage Taiwan

This news report is about salmon sushi shortage, specifically Norwegian salmon. But isn’t that mostly packaged smoked salmon and only partially served as sushi?

Isn’t there corn (or whatever) fed antibiotic filled farm-raised salmon sushi in Taiwan for those that aren’t so picky

3 Likes

Can only imagine the despair of all those people that changed their names to Salmon.

Another Tango42 Topic saved!

5 Likes

I feel like I owe you a lot of drinks or coffees or sushi(s) or something

2 Likes

Gotta be my favourite running gag.

2 Likes

Thankfully, or sadly, tango42 is now below 100 topics with no replies…

Ever feel like you’re talking but no one is responding?

Or maybe just talking too much and no one can keep up

5 Likes

Salmon is shipped frozen, whole, than defrosted and cut into sashimi sized slices. Heads and other less valuable parts are made into soup, slices for sushi rolls.

Farmed salmon now also comes from US, Canada, New Zealand, Chili …

1 Like

We go to the local fish market about once every two months for salmon. It’s almost all from Norway and Chile and goes for NT$800 or so per kilogram. The fish market opens around 1AM. I’ll look closely the next time I’m at the market to see if there are fewer fish.
When we go to buffets, the first thing we line up for is salmon sashimi. We just love it.

5 Likes

Frozen is good if the Sushi chef is not a pro who checks for worms, ect. Forzen one will killed off while in deep zero temps.

2 Likes

Eating fresh fish as sashimi is a risk.

2 Likes

Yes a risk, more so with poorly trained chef. (I always wonder about street, public market, night markets ones)

2 Likes

Atlantic salmons are more at risk for parasites.
Norwegian salmon is less risky, and I deep freeze mine under a -45 degree super freezer for a few days to make sure before I serve them to customers.

It used to be about 370nt per kilo just a few months ago. :scream:

3 Likes

Until today I think the Atlantic goes until northern Norway.

That’s freaking hilarious man.

Another legend of the boards.

Now if we can just set up the ‘Inaugural Forumosa Celebrity Japanese Wrestling Extravaganza’ with you vs Katy Devlin and we can get our Japanese friend with the unpronounceable name to act as the referee. @araujobsd

TaiwanTattoo can hawk his book on the side (behind a mask in case Katy comes out swinging) from his cigarette kiosk, while outside KHH , Cake and Fair Comment can man the Falun Gong stand

@Liam_Og Is going to be providing the interval entertainment on the tin whistle and @crusher supporting on banjo.

BrianJones is going to be placing his bets on Katy but you never know how these things end up

3 Likes

I don’t buy into this raw fish fear. Gollum lived 600 years.

5 Likes

What fear? Parasites or the shortage?

Parasites

Some guy in California pulled a ten meter tapeworm out of his ass?

3 Likes

It happens sometimes.

It’s a case of risk assessment. But I agree that it happens.

Wonder if this Taiwan farmed salmon effort ever developed.

And it if it would even be sushi-grade.

“a readily available and inexpensive source of cold seawater at state-run oil refiner CPC Corp, Taiwan’s Yongan Liquefied Natural Gas Plant in Kaohsiung, which uses a large amount of seawater to convert liquefied natural gas at minus-162oC to a gaseous state to be distributed as pipeline natural gas, and the agency has run a salmon farming program utilizing the cooling effect of the conversion.”

1 Like