Salon interviews innocent victim of CIA torture

Inside the CIA’s notorious “black sites”
A Yemeni man never charged by the U.S. details 19 months of brutality and psychological torture – the first in-depth, first-person account from inside the secret U.S. prisons. A Salon exclusive.

This is a horrifying tale that I’m sure most of you who still consider the US a good guy in international affairs will pointedly fail to read. We’ve come a LONG way down from when George W. Bush stated “Those in authority should take appropriate precautions to protect our citizens. But we will not allow this enemy to win the war by changing our way of life or restricting our freedoms.”

If this isn’t “changing our way of life”, I don’t know what is. We have become the beast we hunted.

And meanwhile Senate Republicans blocked a bill Friday that would restrict the interrogation methods the CIA can use against terrorism suspects.

And Alberto Gonzolas was named Lawyer of the Year by the ABA and they got so much shit for it that they changed it to Newsmaker of the Year. I hope his next title is Detainee of the Year.

Apparently the original article in the ABA Journal made it clear that “Lawyer of the Year” refers to the most high profile attorney, not necessarily the best attorney. The title of the article was changed but the article remains the same.

Apparently the original article in the ABA Journal made it clear that “Lawyer of the Year” refers to the most high profile attorney, not necessarily the best attorney. The title of the article was changed but the article remains the same.[/quote]
One of the ABA spokesperson’s said something like, “Well, Time magazine had Hitler as man of the year.” I’m not kidding either.

Funny. Many liberal friends were very supportive of Mukasey. How are his policy initiatives significantly different from those of Gonzalez? Anyone?

The ACLU was trying to sue one airline used in renditions, but the US is trying to get it thrown out because of state secrets.

More stories here.

And a good video from Frontline.

Makes perfect sense. Time’s “Man of the Year” doesn’t necessarily refer to the “best” man either.

Makes perfect sense. Time’s “Man of the Year” doesn’t necessarily refer to the “best” man either.[/quote]
I don’t care about the legal fine print. If Fredo goes around telling everyone he was Lawyer of the Year, he’s not going to say it was because he had to resign in disgrace. He won’t tell everyone it was because he was instrumental in trying to tear down every good thing that the US has ever professed to stand for. Maybe Forumosa should give out a Poster of the Year award to the biggest dumbass of all. (And not you gao_bo_han. You don’t deserve Poster of the Year.)

147,366 Americans, as of 5:00 PM Taiwan time today, have signed on to Rep. Robert Wexler’s (D-FL) online petition demanding congressional impeachment hearings for Vice President Dick Cheney.