Saloon

I’m not sure what kind of “friendly” people or atmosphere you’re looking for, but i’ve been to saloon a few times recently and i’ve enjoyed my time there. but then again i was with friends and so i wasn’t exactly meeting new people while i was there…but it’s a good atmosphere, but not snobby and pretentious.

Although Saloon is a great place to relax with friends, I’ve rarely had a good feeling about the service they’ve offered. I once went there on a date, and was given plenty of privacy, which I appreciated. But the last few times I’ve been there with friends, and I thought the service kinda sucked.

I’m interested in knowing other people’s perceptions of this place. I’ve eaten there a few times, and bought wine to go with the meal (yeah, I know, of course it was expensive…). Most times, the waiter’s had trouble just opening the bottle (I actually did it for him on one occasion) or has broken the cork. Another time it took about 15 minutes to get a spoon for my soup… and a glass of water to accompany the meal. So, when I’ve gotten the bill at the end of the night, it’s been hard not to cringe, because I’ve expected a little more in terms of friendly, helpful service.

Also, the place is very quiet before 9 or 10pm, which is about when the dj comes on. If you’re going to have dinner, it’s a good idea to book, or else you and your group of friends could be crouching over a coffee table to eat your meal.

There was also one time when the police came in to check everyone’s id’s. I was quite surprised as Saloon is more of a restaurant/bar than a club. I felt a little paranoid about putting my personal info onto the police record, as there appeared to be no apparent motive, so when the policeman came over and asked us for id, I replied that it was late (maybe 1am) and asked him if I could just go home. He nodded his head and I happily left.

All in all, the place is a mixed bag.

The Big Babou

I would say that of the times i’ve been there i’ve enjoyed it, though i didn’t order nearly as elaborate of a meal as you did. after a pitcher of decent sangria, a couple coronas, and some tortilla rolls, it was all good.

but then again i wouldn’t think of saloon as a restaurant either. mcdonald’s would be my definition.

just joking.
one

I went there for that That thingy and hated it – how can a place be hot stuffy and sweaty as well as being totally cold and ambience-free? Plus they wouldn’t let us sit downstairs – said every single table was “reserved.” Reserved? HAH! Not one person was sitting there all the several hours we were there except for an extremely bored-looking Wu Bai and a few hangers-on.

Buncha stuck-up posey wankers. Never going back.

[quote=“sandman”]I went there for that That thingy and hated it – how can a place be hot stuffy and sweaty as well as being totally cold and ambience-free? Plus they wouldn’t let us sit downstairs – said every single table was “reserved.” Reserved? HAH! Not one person was sitting there all the several hours we were there except for an extremely bored-looking Wu Bai and a few hangers-on.

Buncha stuck-up posey wankers. Never going back.[/quote]

Fuck me ! You should have told me Wu Bai was there !

As I have already noted - I really like the place. I have been there on quiet nights drinking with friends, quiet meals with my wife - both upstairs and downstairs. They do have an unusual policy when famous people are there… ‘shielding’ them from the fans, but I imagine that someone like Wu Bai would really enjoy meeting fans… who knows. But I disagree Sandman - I feel the place has a great vibe.

I went there once after the That Nega party with a good friend and simply realised that I am not like the kind of people who go there. In fact they turned my tongue to sandpaper. However, we went to Whisky afterwards, and I liked it. I evern felt OK about paying NT$300 for a nice drop. It was an elderly Macallan though. Nice courtyard, and the chill-out rooms were empty and had their own volume controls. Splendid.

As far as I know the same people can be seen at both places. The only difference is that they ACT differently. :wink:
To all: consider a new club Biru Biru, one alley behind California on ZhongXiao in the basement. There is a tiny shopping mall there (clothing). Inside is totally streamlined, loungy feel but the place is HUGE and they have ale on tap. ALE, Hex!