Samaritan or Interfering ,in Taiwan ?

Goodness. New Tenant moved in on my Floor. Normally a super quiet building but tonight was dreadful.
4 am I heard a girl screaming and a man shouting. Got dressed as the screams got worse and went to investigate Apartment door was open and the girl was on the floor with a man on top of her whilst she was struggling. I shouted HEY and the Man got up and came towards me , shouting obscenities through the Betel nut juice. I stayed put and asked the girl if there was a problem . She said" No its ok…"…I said “really”?

The man was still shouting directly in my face and I was expecting him to take a swing. I remained at the door . Girl got up , obviously distressed. she said "it’s ok and he closed the door.
I called security and told them and they sent a few guys to investigate…usual talking …and they went. Arguing carried on for a few hours but no screams.
Not sure if I did right or wrong but a bit pissed off with others who remained in their apartments…they must have heard the noise. Same Agent rented that place and mine so I am thinking I may look elsewhere to live if this becomes a regular thing .
First trouble in a few months of living here…but Taiwanese tend to live with this stuff sadly, and not complain.
Nice building but peace is important. not sure if I can , legally,break my lease for things like that?

1 Like

Hmm, that really really sucks.
Quick answer off the top of my head: Record the sounds next time and take the recording to the real estate agent and say you want out (without penalty of breaking contract), noting all kinds of excuses (sleep deprivation, etc.), and you’re willing to go to another one of their rental places.
See what the agent says and take a local friend with you to help out with “negotiation”.

3 Likes

You should have called the police instead of going there yourself

1 Like

I remember seeing an ad for a domestic violence hotline… anyone care to enlighten?

Sure is, but forgot the number. Will try and find it tomorrow.

Sadly, people here know not to get involved. Things get ugly fast in Taiwan. I used to be like you. Have many scars and hospital hills to prove it. Call the cops… it can go pear shaped and even backfire onto you. Domestic violence is unfortunately one of the few violent behaviours that is really common in Taiwan :frowning: