Same Sex Marriage in Taiwan for Foreigners

That would deserve its own parade.

2 Likes

i thought you were asking on a marriage between taiwanese citizen and Filipino. in that case, the procedure they need should be the same with any other such marriage, except for the exemption of the marriage certificate from philippines. They need an interview before registering their marriage in Taiwan, so i linked the document.

if it is a marriage between two Filipinos, the link is irrelevant.

Yes, they are all Taiwanese-Filipino couples, but they are all based in Taiwan. All the Filipinos have ARCs, but I haven’t confirmed what type of ARCs each of them have.

I am certain some of them are migrant workers which means their ARCs can’t be converted, and they will be forced to leave Taiwan to apply for a spouse visa, in which case TECO will have to issue them a visa (hopefully) without demanding a Filipino marriage certificate.

iiuc, they need to leave Taiwan, but it is not because their ARCs can’t be converted. It is because they need an interview at TECO in the Philippines to register their marriage in Taiwan, except for some cases the interview may be exempted as listed in the guidelines I linked. Or, if it is a different sex marriage with a Filipino migrant worker in Taiwan and a Taiwanese, can they register their marriage without an interview in the Philippines?

If that is a marriage between a Filipino migrant worker and another foreigner, their ARCs could be converted without leaving Taiwan, because they don’t need an interview.

iiuc, they may be just exempted from marriage registration in their country of origin amd providing the resultant certificate. other parts of the procedure must be the same.

Q09. What documents should I bring for marriage registration?

ROC citizens who marry people from specific countries specified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (such as Vietnam, Myanmar, etc.) in Taiwan must first go to the country of origin of the foreign spouse to complete the marriage registration, and present the marriage documents to the TECO to apply for an interview and verify the marriage documents. After the interview is passed, one or both parties shall go to any household registration office to handle marriage registration in person with the marriage certificate verified by the overseas embassy and its Chinese translation, and the statement of the foreign spouse taking a Chinese name.

1 Like

This is what immigration told me back in the day, that it can’t be converted, but I have never been able to find any such law that says that.

Back in 2018, my wife was asked to leave Taiwan, even though we were exempted from an interview. That’s why I have always assumed that a blue collar ARC can’t be converted to a dependent ARC.

I am not sure if this has changed still, especially after reading about Michael Turton’s case from last year. He’s an American who married a migrant worker, and his wife was forced to leave too.

Hi all. Does anyone have new information regarding the process of SSM for a Taiwan National and Filipino?

TIA :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

It’s possible but the whole process should be lead by the Taiwanese person to have any chance of success.

Sometimes when the Filipino party goes to TECO for paperwork they’ll even outright deny that SSM is allowed. Happened just recently, in fact.

Contact my wife via authentication.ph. She is working on a case or two right now.

3 Likes

For sure with a Taiwanese citizen and a foreign citizen, it is allowed. I have a few friends who have done this. Their names are on the local persons ID and everything.

Meanwhile, as this informative report from Taiwan Plus makes clear, if you are a foreigner seeking to have recognized in Taiwan a SSM with a Filipino, you may be heading to the courts. At least that’s the path taken by this US resident of Taiwan and his Filipino spouse.

Guy