Samsung Galaxy S3

I’ve been asking various Samsung vendors about the S3.
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s3-1078667/review
Although they don’'t have a confirmed order date or price from Samsung, they expect Samsung to announce pricing 5/17, and expect to sell it in June.

I am considering buying one for the 4.8-in screen, 2100mAh battery (compared to the 1580mAh for the Galaxy Note, or 1650mAh for the S2), and the wireless charging pad (rumoured separate accessory).

Anyone else thinking about the S3, or know of the downside to the S3?

Sorry about bumping my own thread, but I predict that the Galaxy S III will exceed the S II popularity in Taiwan.
I stopped by the Samsung store today in Xinyi and they think that the S3 will be in the store by the 2nd week of June.
The 16Gb model is tentatively priced at 20,600NT and the 32Gb is priced at 22,600NT.
Not cheap, but I think that the S3 (quad core processor) will probably out sell the Padfone (dual core processor).

Edit: Here is an article that is giving similar info.
http://www.androidgoodies.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-will-be-available-in-taiwan-on-june-1/

IMHO im not impressed with the S3, so are my friends…

YMMV thou

Okay, I went to check out the Galaxy S III today. It is okay, but I’m not sure if the S3 is worth 20,900NT, or being locked into a 2-year contract with it at 1400NT/month. The only available model is white, and the slicker dark blue tint model won’t be available till late June. All in all, not a bad little beast, but it doesn’t really stand out as a must have over the HTC One X, Asus Padfone or the upcoming LG Optimus or iPhone5.

I still like the Galaxy Note 5.3" screen, but the battery life is what kills the Note for most users (2500mAh lasts only about 4-5 hours). I still think Samsung made the mistake of adding the stylus, when it could have used the stylus space to add another 1000mAh to extend the battery life.

The S3 is already pre-branded best phone of 2012 and pre-orders are sky rocketing. It might beat the S2 in sales over a long-term but not in TW.
Many here still have a contracted S2 and +9-12 months to go, or you will find them soon plenty second hands on Yahoo bid.
Youngsters all crave to iPhones. Never seen so many around me than in the last 6 months here. like a 70% Market share on any Mobile I spotted.

Quad Core? pff… how much core and Megapixels camera’s do we really need? A Stylus on a “smart” phone ? Indeed - a big mistake going back in time.
I await some deep-tissue reviews to see benchmarks if worth all the poehaa but much more interested how the iPhone 5 will finally look / feel / sell.

Made the mistake buying last year the S2 - which I was certainly not impressed with. No S3 for me.

It does not look as striking as the HTC One X, but it has the most beautiful display screen and feels really comfortable and light in your hand…plus the large removable battery and large internal memory (choice of 16/32G right now and 64G coming later) expandable to another 64G!

Now, how can I find out when the 64G internal memory is coming to Taiwan, anybody know?

[quote=“Tiger Blood”]It does not look as striking as the HTC One X, but it has the most beautiful display screen and feels really comfortable and light in your hand…plus the large removable battery and large internal memory (choice of 16/32G right now and 64G coming later) expandable to another 64G!

Now, how can I find out when the 64G internal memory is coming to Taiwan, anybody know?[/quote]
Don’t forget that when you get an S3, you get 50Gb free cloud storage from Dropbox.

The SII was pretty much called the Android phone of the year by most big review sites. What exactly was so ‘blah’ about it for you? I’m curious, especially since the market will likely soon be flooded with 2nd-hand SIIs.

Have an S3 and it’s the best thing I’ve spent money on in a long time. It’s fast, responsive and stable. Using it for testing and developing apps on and it handles everything I throw at it.

If you have an issue with it, be specific about what you didn’t like. Your post isn’t worth the time spent reading it if you don’t.

[quote=“Plastic Rat”]Have an S3 and it’s the best thing I’ve spent money on in a long time. It’s fast, responsive and stable. Using it for testing and developing apps on and it handles everything I throw at it.

If you have an issue with it, be specific about what you didn’t like. Your post isn’t worth the time spent reading it if you don’t.[/quote]

I love the feeling of a brand new phone. But for me it feels like about 6 months to a year later either the app devs figure out how to fully tax the device or, because everything is packed into such a small device that is moved around and handled roughly, it starts to wear out and slow down. My iphone 4 and galaxy tab freeze quite often now and I can’t multi task at all. Even scrolling (twitter/websites/facebook) on my galaxy tab is really choppy and uncomfortable to the point of almost unuseable.

It must be to do with software conflicts and memory being shared, I have noticed similar effects.

[quote=“boho”][quote=“Plastic Rat”]Have an S3 and it’s the best thing I’ve spent money on in a long time. It’s fast, responsive and stable. Using it for testing and developing apps on and it handles everything I throw at it.

If you have an issue with it, be specific about what you didn’t like. Your post isn’t worth the time spent reading it if you don’t.[/quote]

I love the feeling of a brand new phone. But for me it feels like about 6 months to a year later either the app devs figure out how to fully tax the device or, because everything is packed into such a small device that is moved around and handled roughly, it starts to wear out and slow down. My iphone 4 and galaxy tab freeze quite often now and I can’t multi task at all. Even scrolling (twitter/websites/facebook) on my galaxy tab is really choppy and uncomfortable to the point of almost unuseable.[/quote]

Have you considered rooting it and installing a custom rom like Cyanogen? Most people say this makes their device much faster. I would think again something was installed that was conflicting or trying to use more than its fair share of CPU time.

[quote=“Plastic Rat”][quote=“boho”][quote=“Plastic Rat”]Have an S3 and it’s the best thing I’ve spent money on in a long time. It’s fast, responsive and stable. Using it for testing and developing apps on and it handles everything I throw at it.

I love the feeling of a brand new phone. But for me it feels like about 6 months to a year later either the app devs figure out how to fully tax the device or, because everything is packed into such a small device that is moved around and handled roughly, it starts to wear out and slow down. My iphone 4 and galaxy tab freeze quite often now and I can’t multi task at all. Even scrolling (twitter/websites/facebook) on my galaxy tab is really choppy and uncomfortable to the point of almost unuseable.[/quote]

Have you considered rooting it and installing a custom rom like Cyanogen? Most people say this makes their device much faster. I would think again something was installed that was conflicting or trying to use more than its fair share of CPU time.[/quote]

I’ve jailbroken my iphone but I use my galaxy tab so sparingly (due to the aforementioned reasons) that I really don’t even give it the time to research rooting. Maybe I should. It seems worth it.

I’ll check it out, thanks!

EDIT: Just checked the website for Cyanogen and it’s not available for the tablet…I’ll research a bit though

I think I will get this instead of the HTC One X because of the expandable storage (the One X doesn’t have a microsd slot) and the removable battery. Also, the screen is supposedly easier to see in broad daylight. Should I sign a 2 year contract wit ha carrier and get it at a discount or would I be better off buying it at a 3C?

Or should I wait 6 months for something better to come out?

Any tips for getting the best deal?

Thanks!

[quote=“boho”][quote=“Plastic Rat”]Have an S3 and it’s the best thing I’ve spent money on in a long time. It’s fast, responsive and stable. Using it for testing and developing apps on and it handles everything I throw at it.

Mmm, that seems just about the case I’ve seen. Smartphones are nice but expensive, one wished they could last longer. And problems with the basic functions, like FB or Twitter, is really a bummer -I had to switch to Twitter as default only as FB would freze my device.

I had read that the Galaxy III was good but not groundbreaking and that there are battery life issues. Is that the experience of people who are using it so far?

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“boho”][quote=“Plastic Rat”]Have an S3 and it’s the best thing I’ve spent money on in a long time. It’s fast, responsive and stable. Using it for testing and developing apps on and it handles everything I throw at it.

Mmm, that seems just about the case I’ve seen. Smartphones are nice but expensive, one wished they could last longer. And problems with the basic functions, like FB or Twitter, is really a bummer -I had to switch to Twitter as default only as FB would freze my device.

I had read that the Galaxy III was good but not groundbreaking and that there are battery life issues. Is that the experience of people who are using it so far?[/quote]

Yeah FB on any device is absolutely terrible. Much better to use it through the browser. With billions of dollars they can’t make an app that doesn’t freeze? Maybe apps aren’t good for accessing massive databases like that.

And the S2 had battery problems too. My brother ended up getting rid of all of his widgets, putting in a black background and lowering the brightness unless it was absolutely necessary to have it brighter within a week of getting his phone to try and conserve battery. It was dying on him in the middle of the day.

Hope S3 isn’t worse than that…

The SII was pretty much called the Android phone of the year by most big review sites. What exactly was so ‘blah’ about it for you? I’m curious, especially since the market will likely soon be flooded with 2nd-hand SIIs.[/quote]

Didn’t like the cheap plasticish feel, the low battery life , the lesser good camera vs. my S4 and the light weight , afraid breaking it when accidentally sitting on it. All that and being Android, which I still can’t get used to after 4 attempts.

A second hand S2 for 8- 10 k might still be a good deal. I don’t see any S3’s in my new office. 85% is iPhone , some HTC’s but merely Any/ none Galaxy’s .

I might wait to compare the Galaxy S3 to the Galaxy Note2, which is supposed to come out next month.
http://dvice.com/archives/2012/07/rumor-samsung-g-3.php
I hope Samsung gets rid of the stylus and add more battery to the Note.

[quote=“Icon”]I had read that the Galaxy III was good but not groundbreaking and that there are battery life issues. Is that the experience of people who are using it so far?[/quote]I’m using an S3 in the US and the battery does great. I stream music (with headphones) all day long.

It’s operates smooth and fast and I like how thin it is. Hardly notice it in my pocket. And, as mentioned before, the screen is great - big for a phone and I really like the look of AMOLED.