Sanchong Dog Shelter: Closed until further notice!

Original Title: One down… many more to go

One at a time, folks, one at a time…

[quote]TAIPEI, Taiwan –
Sanchung main dog shelter is closed until further notice as it will soon undergo t
ransformations, a Sanchung City official said yesterday.
Hu Chia-chiang, chief of the Cleaning Unit at Sanchung City Government, made the announcement in response to a protest organized by a Hong-Kong based animal protection group in front of Sanchung administration building.

“We will continue to make necessary improvements [to the shelter],” Hu told the activists of the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), who were confined to a cage as a protest.

“We have asked Sanchung Mayor Lee Chien-lung to provide adequate treatment to wounded dogs at the shelter,” stressed Coco Yu, campaign coordinator for PETA, who noted that authorities have only replied to some aspects of their open letters sent last May and July.

“It is not sufficient,” she added.

Jason Baker, director of PETA Asia-Pacific, lamented in a letter dated July 3 that “After years of attempting to work cooperatively with you and the shelter’s staff… we have not seen any improvements,” in reference to the various inspections PETA members have conducted since 2004.

[b]Yet, The China Post noticed that all the dogs had vanished ahead of an impromptu media tour organized by Sanchung authorities.

They provided contradictory information on the animals’ whereabouts, as Yu remarked that several animals, including puppies, had been kept at the shelter in July.

“I believe they let the animals go before typhoon Wong-fong,” she went on. “There is still a lot to be done!”[/b]

PETA has been working with animal shelters all over Taiwan for the last few years in an effort to improve conditions for animals. But, it deplores the fact that with the exception of the Sanchung shelter, all other shelters on the island have made notable improvements in recent years.
[/quote]

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/local/taipei/2008/08/06/168764/Sanchung-gov%27t.htm

I was going to participate in the protest. Was going to be locked inside a cage…but then I found a dog in my street that needed help and was busy going to the vet etc.

My first thought was that they may get rid of all the animals there…which is scary…but I thought that there may be records taken by PETA?

What does PETA do to educate people to NOT adopt/buy raise dogs at all? Many of the dogs on the streets here were pets whose dipshit owners couldn’t train and then released. I saw a friggin sheepdog wandering the street last night, and a purebred lab being gangbanged.

Owning pets should be illegal without a license.

PETA tries to do good, but then the dogs are re-relased to the streets or bulldozed somewhere.

PETA takes the easy “get me on the news” option a lot of the time. they would get more respect from me and others if they actually helped rather than complained.

I presume the shelter was closed after people complained it was too cruel to house dogs in Sanchong.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]I presume the shelter was closed after people complained it was too cruel to house dogs in Sanchong.

HG[/quote]
Yeah, the street is a much better option in the TWnese mind, easy access to food water and sex.

There’s a &&&& %^$%^%& of a woman living in our street who put her old dog outside for 3 months!!! We have a lady that feeds the stray dogs (there are 6 in our street now…out of hand) and she went away on holiday and just let her dog outside, knowing the lady will feed it.

of COURSE the van came and grabbed all the dogs. The friendly lady that feeds them (shes a bit of a nut…like me) went to the pound to get them back, neuter them and give their shots. The pound refused to let her take the old dog because it was registered under the owners name. But they were only going to keep it for 10 days, then ‘take care of it’. The owner is out of the country!

Luckily I saw the old dog back on the streets. Can’t wait for that lady to come back. But its SOOOO &#^&# because if you make waves and cause a stir then she may just dump the dog or kick it or poison mine.

aaaaaaargh…everything about it just frustrates me so.

[quote=“Surly”]What does PETA do to educate people to NOT adopt/buy raise dogs at all? Many of the dogs on the streets here were pets whose dipshit owners couldn’t train and then released. I saw a friggin sheepdog wandering the street last night, and a purebred lab being gangbanged.

Owning pets should be illegal without a license.

PETA tries to do good, but then the dogs are re-relased to the streets or bulldozed somewhere.[/quote]Finally I find something to agree with you, surly. Well said, Sir. That would certainly be a part of the solution. If Peta really wants to see shelters improve, the best way would be to use them for massive CNR operations. They had have it all set up already. They would just have to use these shelters for the same purpose (controlling stray animals population) but with a different strategy.

I was contacted over the phone and via email by Coco, the campaign coordinator for PETA. I told her the same thing. I also told her about this Buddhist run shelter I visit often in Pingtung. They have over 600 dogs. It’s a great shelter as far as large shelters go anyways… The dogs are well fed, they are medicated when they get sick and they are not killed. Great people work there, and they do a really good job. Problem is, the dogs are in hell regardless. Many dogs end up living there for many years confined in cells of about 20x20 feet with ten other dogs. They NEVER go out. They will never smell fresh grass again… In the morning the floor is covered with feces, and during the day it is always wet because they use water pressure to push feces into adjacent sewers. If I was a dog, I would prefer to die young on the street over dying old in a “good” shelter. No doubt.

Sure, PETA has done a good thing by tugging at the powers that be to improve the Sanchong shelter and I think it’s great. Good for them by all means. I just wish they directed their energy into a long term solution to help animals suffering in Taiwan. And maybe they will…

marboulette

Straydog said something similar to me once and at first I thought it was cruel but then agreed he might be right. He said that if people planned to get rid of a dog dumping it in the mountains or on the street at least gave the animal a chance of a few years of a decent life; whereas putting it into a shelter was a garanteed life in hell.

I get the impression here that if an owner dies and they leave a pet, some are dumped by relatives.

I was in a mountain last year and there was an old dog away from the packs.
By the body language and the look of it, it hadn’t been there long.

I thought next time they are burning fake paper for the deceased owner will they’ll inform them the dog was dumped like a piece of trash in the mountains.

I also saw an over friendly Persian cat in the same mountain a couple of years ago too.
Definitely dumped.
There were no other cats anywhere.
I fed it a few times and was going to take it in, but the day I went up to see it, it had gone…