Sanitized Restaurants

If you think the SARS scare is all a big hype, then just ignore this topic. But if you eat out a lot and are taking SARS prevention seriously, let’s share some info here.

Of all the public places, restaurants are the only ones that you don’t see people wear masks (for the obvious reason). So it’s up to the restauranteurs to take the precautions.

I went to Ding Tai Feng on XinYi Rd the other night and was truly impressed. First they take your temperature at the door. If you pass (under 38 degrees), they then spray your hands with alcohol before letting you in. I thought that was more than adequate until I saw people at the next table get up to leave. As soon as they stepped away, the server sprayed the table and chairs with alcohol and wiped everything down. I doubt anyone can outdo these guys. Have you been to any restaurants lately that are taking such painstaking precautions?

I went to a restaurant on Min Sheng E. Rd. Monday night. Same thing happened. Temperature check and handwashing. And black “OK” stickers we all had to wear while in the restaurant.

The good folks at McDonald’s took my temperature this morning.

Before or after you ate? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Wait until they check you at 7-11 … :smiley:

But what is going on behind the scenes?
Do they use a professional dishwasher with hot enough water to kill the virus, or is it handwashing in lukewarm water?

I am not too worried, but I hope “real” dishwashing in HOT water will be the new standard as a benefit from the SARS.

[quote=“X3M”]But what is going on behind the scenes?
Do they use a professional dishwasher with hot enough water to kill the virus, or is it handwashing in lukewarm water?

I am not too worried, but I hope “real” dishwashing in HOT water will be the new standard as a benefit from the SARS.[/quote]

I hope they do the same for the staff.
Take temperature and the rest.

I’m sure the temperature of a Chinese cook must be sky high, surrounded as he is by flaming woks in a small alcove kitchen that is most often outside.

Those guys always amaze me for their capacity to work in such outrageous conditions.

[quote=“Alleycat”]I’m sure the temperature of a Chinese cook must be sky high, surrounded as he is by flaming woks in a small alcove kitchen that is most often outside.

Those guys always amaze me for their capacity to work in such outrageous conditions.[/quote]

There’s a place on shi da night market that has the same thing cooking fried rice.

You can see big sweat goblets on him sliding down from his already sweaty head and upper body.

YYYUuuuuucccckkkkkkkkkkkkk!

Speaking of temperature, tell me if this line of reasoning is correct. Since temperature is a big factor in determining the survival rate of the SARS bug (it dies in temperatures above 32 degrees), when we eat out, we should obviously opt for hot foods and avoid cold foods like Japanese sushi and cold-cut sandwitches from Subway, even though nutritiously, those cold foods are better for us and help build the immune system. :?: