Saturday mornings hiking or biking?

If asphalt interests you more than trees and dirt, ride up 5 Finger Mtn, brunch at Helens at the summit then down the back road.

I don’t really know my way around outside the city. So I’m looking for company who knows…=) And…it’s more fun to have company than to go alone at a saturday morning…

Too bad Bu Lai En, let me know when you have time again.

Guess I’ll have to go for a ride myself tomorrow morning…=(

I often ride from Tamshui to Peitou over the mountain then back along the river. Several times a week. It’s beautiful :sunglasses: . Seems like no-one else wants to try. Still, my desire to appreciate nature waits for no-one.

Anyway, since the MRT allows bikes on weekends (incredibly restricted hours, but it’s a start), I’d be up for taking my bike to Shindien area for a ride in those hills if anyone has a good place. Reckon 4.30pm-5pm will avoid the heat. Later, I can take a taxi to Peitou and ride home from there). Sure am looking forward to better hours on the MRT.

Any ideas? :bravo:

P.S. If anyone can keep up over the mountain, you should do that ride with me…from Tamshui, up Beixingchuan Road to the Beixingchuan town, turn right and go up the hill and over to Peitou. There are two roads over the top, the highest road at the top is small and windy, and heads straight down to Hsin Peitou with pretty views past a temple. Takes 1hr 45m Tamshui return.

Ok, this is an edit becuase found out detailed info on an excellent ride:
:happybiker: from Tamshui ride your bicycle up Beixingchuan Road, go straight through the Beixingchuan township (don’t turn right up to Peitou), but go on a little, then follow a small road to the right which traces along the side of the back of Yamingshan eventually meeting Yon Der Da Dao below Ma Tsao Hot Springs. Then ride over Yamingshan-Chishingshan, down to the Cultural University and turn right down a country road to Tienmu, to Shipai, and back to Tamshui. I’d say 3 1/2hrs or less, and beautiful. Would have to leave 3.30pm. Otherwise just use sunscreen. Any takers? :flog: …that’s ok…

Another good ride is along the Tamshui River paths, then taking the small ferry to Bali, and riding up GuanYi Shan.

Saturday morning rides would be great for me… let me know if you are interested for next week. I don’t know my way around the city to well, haven’t been here to long but would be up to trying something new, nature or city…

[quote]If anyone can keep up over the mountain, you should do that ride with me…from Danshui, up Beixingchuan Road to the Beixingchuan town, turn right and go up the hill and over to Beitou. There are two roads over the top, the highest road at the top is small and windy, and heads straight down to Hsin Beitou with pretty views past a temple. Takes 1hr 45m Danshui return.

Ok, this is an edit becuase found out detailed info on an excellent ride:
:happybiker: from Danshui ride your bicycle up Beixingchuan Road, go straight through the Beixingchuan township (don’t turn right up to Beitou), but go on a little, then follow a small road to the right which traces along the side of the back of Yangmingshan eventually meeting Yon Der Da Dao below Ma Tsao Hot Springs. Then ride over Yangmingshan-Chishingshan, down to the Cultural University and turn right down a country road to Tianmu, to Shipai, and back to Danshui. I’d say 3 1/2hrs or less, and beautiful. Would have to leave 3.30pm. Otherwise just use sunscreen. Any takers? [/quote]
Are these rides all on-road or are there any off-road sections? With my 27-speed, full suspension Giant, I prefer off-road, but I’m not against on-road if the traffic is light. Seems like the roads going up Yangmingshan–pretty narrow to begin with–all have pretty heavy traffic on weekends. I just don’t want to breath in all that exhaust and certainly don’t want to risk getting run over. :astonished:

Hi,

Yes, the rides I do are on the roads, although I do like to go off-road. I’m trying to get fit over the summer so pushing myself at 80-95% effort for 1-2 hours…and enjoying the views as I go. :sunglasses:

TW drivers are polite to cyclists, they give me a lot of space when passing. :notworthy:

I know enough small roads to ensure that, even on the weekend, there would only be a few small sections with steady traffic, the rest would be quiet, hilly, country roads. A good ride would be from KuangDu along the riverside to warmup, then turn up the hill at Tamshui-TamGung Road, then at the top turn right to Peitou. After 5 minutes, make a left at some stables onto a small road which is the higher mountain pass down to Hsin Peitou. Beautiful ride up and down. Once down, there is a slightly busier road up to a lovely section of Yamingshan trails.

Of course, some of the other roads I ride, near Beixingjuan, are pretty too, but the linking roads have a bit of weekend traffic.

If you need a guide, let me know. :bravo:

Now the weather’s a bit cooler (not that it stopped me before), I want to invite any keen riders out to Tamshui. Since my last post, I’ve discovered more little roads on the mountainside, and it’s really been fun riding around. Also, I’ve done the ride to JuTsi Hu, over Yamingshan to the Sulphur Pits, a few times and that’s a beaut-but only for the fit.

Put your bike on the MRT on Sunday and hit the hills for 2-3 hours. Replies or pm me.

I am game for riding with anybody anytime. I ride mostly road right now with an average speed of 14 mph (flat road) for a duration of about 1.5 to 2 hours. I am willing to ride at any pace with company though. I also have a mt. bike and am willing to ride some trails.

I live in Keelung and do not have a car or scooter to get anywhere with. I could arrange a taxi to meet somewhere though. If anybody would like to ride the beautiful cost either direction from Keelung, let me know I can meet you somewhere.

It would be great to meet some other cyclists.

PM me or email me at dclay26@hotmail.com