Saturday Night Fever

Aside from the music, Saturday Night Fever is a pretty good movie.

Just another movie about ethnic minority gang-bangers (*) with their trendy dance music.

(*) literallyā€“several of them rape one of the girls, while the protagonist, Travoltaā€™s character, tries to rape the other

Wait, what? Are you sure we saw the same film?

Donā€™t tell me you got distracted by all that Bee Gees music and disco dancing.

You know, they should totally remake that movie as a rap / hip-hop thing.

Is the sequel ā€˜Staying Aliveā€™ about him being on the run from the police?

I guess @Dawud read this article:
http://www.tracking-board.com/saturday-night-fever-a-problematic-classic-in-film-history/

1 Like

No, but it basically just summarizes the plot of the movie (you know, the part nobody remembers because of all the Travolta disco dancing). Money 'graf:

[Tony, Travoltaā€™s character] then tries to rape Stephanie. She takes off and Tony is met up by his boys and an extremely intoxicated Annette. She says sheā€™ll have sex with Tony and all his friends. Like a real weirdo, Tony sits in the front seat of the car while Bobby drives around and their other friends take turns raping Annette. Finally, Bobby pulls over on the bridge, rants about his pregnant girlfriend and how Tony has ignored him and then throws himself off the bridge. Then Tony runs off and rides the subway until he gets to Stephanieā€™s place. She lets him in and they agree to be friends.

Actually, I think we didnā€™t see the same film.

Some of my relatives are Italian-American trash, exactly as depicted in the film. I avoid them like I avoid disco.

Ethnic stereotypes donā€™t emerge from a vacuum.

Dunno, even here in Taiwan they have braodcast the tv version with the rape content and all. Which is really unusual as they tend to cut out anything sexual from films.

I tried to watch it recently and the music was the only thing that kept me awake and interested. Not even a Bee Gees fan.

If the music didnā€™t make you wan to hit mute, then your tastes areā€¦ unusual.

For me, itā€™s the gritty realism plus the character development. The main character has a post-douchebag epiphany. Itā€™s almost like the ending to A Christmas Carol.

Yeah, you might also want to hit mute during the family drama scenes. Sometimes realism is annoying.