Saving expenses at the cost of your revenue

[quote=“Fox”]I don’t think it is sacrosanct. I just think if they are changing tack, it is not ethical to say don’t go there.

In my view, people should be very careful what they say about another person’s business. That is their livelihood.

However, if it really is a stinker, I have no problem with mentioning the name of the place.[/quote]

Well, the vinegary potato salad seems to me to be a reason to name names. And that SD got ill after eating there. And that they charged him for food he never ate.

Did I miss anything?

I doubt an outing on these boards will make or break a business. The bossman is making his bed apparently.

Fox, this place sounds like a health hazard. Stray should not only warn us but tell the health department. The food is not just bad but rancic or spoiled. This goes way beyond regular customer disatisfaction.

You never ate at the Digby Pub.

I have eaten at the Dirty Duck in Bali though. :sick:

There is IMO nothing unethical about naming the place - after all Straydog has supported lot’s of facts, so everyone can, based on those, make up his / her own mind to visit that place or not.

OK, OK.

It wasn’t supposed to be a gripe about a particular place - more about places that do this kind of thing in general.

Anyway, it’s G & G.

Not at all surprised and thought all along it was G&G. Used to shop there quite a bit in the past before there were the likes of Jason’s, City-Super, Breeze, etc. Came countless times out of their store (which became smaller and smaller over the years) with expired stuff and worse often were over charged, resulting in arguments with Willy and/or his staff. Did not go back for years, then tried it again a few months ago and unfortunately nothing changed so I will never shop there for good!

I feel better knowing that it wasn’t just me, or that I was in the wrong mood.

I have eaten in a restaurant that was about NT$2,500 per person (Chez Portofino) and the bill was on me (I didn’t realise it was so pricey when I booked). Everything, from food to drinks to service to decor were outstanding, the manager gave all five of us a free half-glass of Champagne, the chef came out to chat, and then we got free shots of a couple of Italian licquers after the meal. I was surprised to find myself thinking what great value it was, despite the hefty bill.

The next weekend I ate at some silly restaurant called SkyLark or something. Four of us got seated on a small tabel, and they brought out ALL the courses at the same time because we had unknowingly arrived at last orders, and they insisted we paid the bill as the food came out too! It cost about NT$250 per person for four very bland and small courses, and in contrast to the Portofino experience, I left feeling ripped off, despite the cheap price.

The service industry is for those who can provide good service to their customers; some establishments need to remember that.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]I feel better knowing that it wasn’t just me, or that I was in the wrong mood.

I have eaten in a restaurant that was about NT$2,500 per person (Chez Portofino) and the bill was on me (I didn’t realise it was so pricey when I booked). Everything, from food to drinks to service to decor were outstanding, the manager gave all five of us a free half-glass of Champagne, the chef came out to chat, and then we got free shots of a couple of Italian licquers after the meal. I was surprised to find myself thinking what great value it was, despite the hefty bill.

The next weekend I ate at some silly restaurant called SkyLark or something. Four of us got seated on a small tabel, and they brought out ALL the courses at the same time because we had unknowingly arrived at last orders, and they insisted we paid the bill as the food came out too! It cost about NT$250 per person for four very bland and small courses, and in contrast to the Portofino experience, I left feeling ripped off, despite the cheap price.

The service industry is for those who can provide good service to their customers; some establishments need to remember that.[/quote]

Sean, two good examples that hit the nail on the head with regard to the concept of ‘value’ in the restaurant business; as long as the quality of product and service exceed the price charged leaving the customer happy and satisfied, ‘value’ has been got. I sometimes think that local patrons have a broader understanding of this than expatriates here in Taiwan. That’s just my opinion from a few years of observation though and does not apply to all from either group.

Best regards,

Bob