Saving protected pictures

Sometimes pictures have some sort of protection or something on them so you can’t save them by right-clicking. Someone here once taught me a trick for doing this - something like right-clicking while holding down something then releasing and holding something els or something - anyone know what it is?

Brian

If you’re trying to save those eBay jpgs, when you look at the enlarged images, clear the initial images.auctionworks.com/fullView.asp?img= from the address. Then you’ll be able to save the picture without a problem.

Better solution: use the Opera Web browser, which makes many things easy.

The following usually works but it doesn’t work on the Central News Ageny’s photo gallery:

Right click to get the alert -
(1) then left click the OK and the left button down -
(2) then right click and hold so both mouse buttons are pressed down -
(3) then let go of the left button so the alert disappears and
(4) then let go of the right button - there you go - the right click context menu
(Do the 4 actions in 1 fluid motion)

Someone has kindly provided a practice page. When trying it out, I found out by accident that you can get the same result without right-clicking to begin with. Just place your cursor over the image and go through steps 1-4 above.

I did find a way to get pictures off the Central News Ageny’s photo gallery. It was an unexpected benefit provided by Bugnosis. Bugnosis can tell you the URLs of all the images on a web page. There must be other programs that let you do the same thing.

Thanks to you both. That was the trick I was thinking of Juba.

Now if someone could just tell me a trick to avoid all these frickin Invalis Sessions that mean I have to try 6 times to post anything :imp: :imp: :imp:

Brian

The coding of CNA’s site being shit (what a surprise :unamused:), the site itself doesn’t appear correctly in Opera or other standards-compliant Web browsers. But Opera will work just fine in saving the photos on that site.

CNA is using JavaScript to trap the right-mouse-click. You can get around that by disabling JavaScript, but that also disables their site navigation (since they seem to set up most of it via JavaScript).

You can always “view source” (ctrl-U in Netscrape) and dig through it to find out where the image is being loaded from, then snarf it directly.

If all else fails, hit Print Screen, open your Paint program, and click Paste.

At last a useful thread.

Now, what about those darn flash movies that you’d love to save to view offline but you are stopped by someone locking the darn thing. I know they didn’t lock it intentionally, it must be a mistake :wink: , that’s the only reason that I ask.

:moo:

How do you post jpegs in this forum? Sorry for such an easy question! I can’t figure it out… :blush:

To post a jpeg

1. click “post reply” NOT “quick reply”
  2. you will see little button that says “Img” above the box where you type
  3. click that once (to open the code)
  4. enter the URL of your jpeg
  5. click Img again (to close the code)

You can’t post pics from your PC, only link from other websites. Follow the procedure stevieboy describers or enter manually - but replace () with :

(img)whateverwebsite.com - This website is for sale! - sites like Resources and Information.

Rascal means like this:

And then some sites don’t let you link to images, Geocites and Tripod for instance.

If you want to see how a post links to something, or some other effect, press the quote button and you can see what the poster typed, don’t press ‘Submit’ or you’ll look like a nimrod.

But you rename the file to e.g. *.txt and it works, even it’s a JPG file. :wink:

Big Fluffy, how to I “hide” a URL behind a text? That one I haven’t figured out yet. :blush:

But you rename the file to e.g. *.txt and it works, even it’s a JPG file. :wink:[/quote]Yes (look at my avatar), but you can’t do that if it’s not your website. If it’s someone else’s and it’s a .jpg, you can’t do it.

to answer your other question on how to do " FORuMOSA "

[url=www.forumosa.com]FORUMOSA[/url]

Thank you. :notworthy:

[quote=“Bassman”]At last a useful thread.

Now, what about those darn flash movies that you’d love to save to view offline but you are stopped by someone locking the darn thing. I know they didn’t lock it intentionally, it must be a mistake :wink: , that’s the only reason that I ask.

:moo:[/quote]
“locking”?? Not sure what you mean. I haven’t run into any .swf movies that aren’t snarfable.

Worst case, I’ve had to create my own little webpage somewhere to snarf through:

1. find out what the actual name and path to the .swf file is, e.g., foo.com/whatever/whatever/movie.swf Worst case, I’ve used the “view source” option in Netscape to see where it’s being loaded from.
  2. make a little webpage like so:
    < html>< body>< a href=“http://foo.com/whatever/whatever/movie.swf”>save this</ a></ body></ html>
    (Remove the spaces from that – I just put ‘em in so that I (hopefully) wouldn’t confuse peoples’ web browsers while they looked at this thread.)
  3. Put the webpage somewhere and open it in a browser. Even works if it’s on your local hard drive.
  4. right-click on the link and use the “save link as…” option.