Saw a monkey on the powerlines today

On my way back down the mountain from dropping my son off at school I saw a monkey tightrope walking on the powerlines.

I stopped and took some pictures and shot a quick video. :slight_smile:

Then some guy pulled up behind me and started honking his horn…I shrugged and drove away. Only the notice in my mirror that he had seen why I was stopped in the middle of the road and that HE had stoped to take a peek.

Why do I live in Taiwan? Monkeys. :slight_smile:

Ok, I’ll try to keep my circus act away from the road next time.

I should put some clothes on too. Is my back that hairy??? :astonished: :astonished:

Very classy avatar, bassman! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

That sounds friggin awesome :smiley: I keep hearing about the monkeys here, but I never see them ouside of the classroom. Maybe I should try to leave Taipei a little more often.

A guy I know who has been going up that mountain every day for the past two years and he’s never seen a monkey. We watched the video and the thing looks well fed (better than Bassman for sure). We speculated that he was down so low because the banana trees are bearing fruit and it’s just too good to pass up.

Maybe I could borrow one of your monkeys and have them chat…find out the real poop.

And yes, it was friggin great. :slight_smile:

I’ve seen a bunch of monkeys up on Xiao Mao Shan, the small hill infront of Yamingshan. I didn’t see JDSmith hanging out with them. They chased me because they thought I was flashing a big red bottom at them-a sign of aggression. It was my red hiking bag. :blush: I savagely yelled at them and they beat a hasty retreat. I am the king of the jungle. :smiley:

Cool!

I’ve heard that the population of Formosan macaques is growing due to conservation efforts. I’ve heard that there’s a group of them living in the mountains south of Muzha.

Sorry for my earlier off-topic remark, but the guy is just too good!

On topic: We live in Tianmu just at the foot of the Tianmu Walk, a set of stairs leading all the way up to Culture University. Halfway up, or actually two thirds of the way up, you get to the “Monkey Trail” which you have to follow for about 1.5km (my guesstimate) before you get to the last bit of stairs. There’s a largish group of Macaques there and even warning signs and stuff. “Beware of monkeys staring at you with jumping eyebrows” …

[quote=“jdsmith”]On my way back down the mountain from dropping my son off at school I saw a monkey tightrope walking on the powerlines.
[/quote]

Was Bob anywhere to be seen wearing his holiday pants?

[quote=“jdsmith”]I saw a monkey tightrope walking on the powerlines.
[/quote] It’s already been said, but I’ll add my vote: 'Way cool.

I would have paid to have seen that! :laughing:

On a bike trip last winter, I came around a bend in the coastal road about 30km or so north of the general Kending area (east coast side). This was an area with a lot of switchbacks. Something on the side of the opposite hill of a switchback caught my eye. Turned out is was a monkey. I stopped to watch and noticed there was a whole family there. I sat on the side of the road (happy to be taking a break from riding up hills) and watched the monkeys for about 30 minutes. Awesome. Wish I’d had binoculars. When I started riding again, I ended up on their side of the switchback, and as I approached the area above them, they didn’t make a sound. If I hadn’t seen that first one earlier, I’d never have known they were there.

When I lived in Kaohsiung we used to go up to" monkey mountain "on the weekends. They were tons of monkey up there and the locals would sell tomatos to feed to the monkeys. so of course as soon as the monkeys saw people coming they would jump all over you looking for food. One even had the nerve to sit on my hip, hold my hand down (I was swatting her) and steal choco sticks from my bag!

I’ve seen monkeys in Taroko Gorge. I had one of the little bastards jump on me in Kaohsiung near the Monkey Temple and muddy up my pants. I don’t trust them at all.

Why is everybody so impressed with seeing monkeys? Are they endangered here? I guess it’s unusual to see them near Taipei.

Have you ever seen a wild monkey…not in the monkey park in Bali? They are truly amazing to watch. They look strong enough to rip your head off, and they look at you like you know that they know it too.

And to see one walking the lines…come on! That’s some cool s-h-i-t. :slight_smile:

On a side note, I saw some idiotic looking dog walking on its hind legs at Warner Village on Saturday…booooooooooring

In Taiwan, no, so I guess it would be weird.
But I do admit I don’t have much love for monkeys. They’re noisy, and they get in everywhere. When I was in pre-school the monkeys used to come into class and tear up our books while we were playing outside.
OK, babboons pretty much did the same stuff, but at least they are pretty scary beasts and therefore demand a certain amount of respect from me. In fact they scare me the most of any animal in the world, followed by hyenas.
I saw a couple of monkeys in India too, and I still don’t like them.
But anyways, my question was just to find out the reason that people were excited by the monkey. I thought maybe they were a rare species here or something.
Enjoy.

[quote=“twonavels”]in Taiwan, no, so I guess it would be weird.
But I do admit I don’t have much love for monkeys. They’re noisy, and they get in everywhere. When I was in pre-school the monkeys used to come into class and tear up our books while we were playing outsides.
OK, babboons pretty much did the same stuff, but at least they are pretty scary beasts and therefore demand a certain amount of respect from me. In fact they scare me the most of any animal in the world, followed by hyenas.
I saw a couple of monkeys in India too, and I still don’t like them.
But anyways, my question was just to find out the reason that people were excited by the monkey. I thought maybe they were a rare species here or something.
Enjoy.[/quote]

Holy batcrap! Where did you go to school??

I love “holy batcrap”. Can I use it in future or is it your own personalized phrase?
I went to school in South Africa. My preschool was on a farm. I moved into town when I was about 12 though, and lived a pretty city-related life. There were baboons and leopards on the farm next to us, but while I have often stumpled upon a troop of baboons, I’ve never stumbled upon yellow cat. Lions, hyenas and the like I just saw in the National Parks like everybody else.
One cool thing about growing up in SA is that you can amuse people at Happy Hours with tales of dragging dead baboons and eland down mountains and up riverbeds, and of sneaking up on elephants and of parents punching baboons in the face, etc.
But I’m sure the monkey was very cool, too. :stuck_out_tongue:

Monkeys are scared of bicycles, at least from my experience. I’ve driven and ridden (motorcycles) around TW numerous times and only glimpsed the occasional ape from a distance. But while riding my bicycle I have had the opportunity to witness quite a number of monkeys–their rears anyway as they scoot away from the side of the road. I mean, huge trucks, cars, motorcycles roar by and not a movement from the bush, but as soon as I huff and puff on by there is usually a flurry of activity as they run for cover. The coolest thing is when they stop and turn around to check me out. This has happened numerous times, more frequently down south on the East Coast roads from Kenting to Hualien.
Coolest monkey sighting: In the hot spring pool at Jr-Ben at about 6:30 in the morning a troop came to feed on the ripened fruit of a Ficus tree overhanging the pool. My mom, sis and best bud were visiting and we just basked in the warm water and watch them feed and frolic over our heads. Monkeys are cool!

[quote=“twonavels”]I love “holy batcrap”. Can I use it in future or is it your own personalized phrase?
I went to school in South Africa. One cool thing about growing up in SA is that you can amuse people at Happy Hours with tales of dragging dead baboons and eland down mountains and up riverbeds, and of sneaking up on elephants and of parents punching baboons in the face, etc.
But I’m sure the monkey was very cool, too. :p[/quote]

You may use “Holy batcrap” at your leisure. :slight_smile:

Your story makes me for the first time want to live in SA. :slight_smile: That is so awsome. :slight_smile: Punching baboons in the face…that’s hilarious! :slight_smile: