Say Thank You to a Police Officer

I came up with a new idea today. We’re all tired of the lack of enforcement, especially regarding traffic rules. Today I saw a cop handing a fine to an illegally parked car. Being a police officer is a thankless job so I said thanks to him. I don’t think this will revolutionise enforcement in Taiwan but making the cop feel good when doing something we want might incentivise them to do it just a bit more.

I know I’ve had enough of people causing major traffic jams by parking their cars to buy their Binlang. Binlang isn’t important enough to hold up all of Danshui.

4 Likes

He might have thought you were taking the piss.

No no, I told him why. He also lives in Danshui and knows EXACTLY what I’m talking about.

1 Like

In this case, OK, but in many other cases thanking people for doing their job could suggest you don’t expect them to normally do their job.

I’m not saying don’t do it, but if someone came into my classroom and thanked me for not being asleep I might take offence.

Perhaps, but illegal parking and red light running is SO pervasive… I’ve had it up to here with my 3 km trip to the MRT taking upwards of 45 minutes sometimes.

You need to explain this and give a causal link. I ain’t saying ta to no po-po.

I’m happy they are lax personally. It’s hard to park, especially when you just need to run into someplace for a few minutes. Just ticket the people taking handicapped spots or blocking intersections and such.

If you want the convenience of the city, you need to deal with hassles too.

2 Likes

I nod my head to police here or in the US out of respect for their tough job

By bike, scooter or car?

The roads in Danshui are already at capacity. If you’re forcing thousands of cars to slow down to go around you then you’re part of the problem.

Tough job? In Taiwan? Tough job?

All they do is drive around and sign those little cards. They do nothing.

By bus. The ride is only supposed to take 11 minutes.

If you’re in a car you’re part of the problem. Ooops. You is in a bus. Good man.

2 Likes

I agree in general, but I do think we should make exceptions for civil service jobs (e.g. police officers, paramedics, fire fighters, etc.). They aren’t easy jobs and most of the people who do them are not compensated well enough.

2 Likes

meant mostly the US, but Taiwan police are never shown respect by those caught doing something.
wrong. anyhewwww…
if your job every working day, involved the potential for someone to outright try and kill you in order to not be caught doing something grossly illegal, you’d feel different.
But you have a right to that opinion

1 Like

I’ve never had to worry about parking cause I take public transit. Even if I had a car, it’d only be for long distance travel, like to Hsinchu or Hualien. In fact, on that road, there are TWO public parking lots, within a 3 minute walk of each other and they still park on the CLEARLY red line or in the bus station, forcing me to jump on the road to catch the bus. I’m done with these lazy…(choice words withdrawn)

If you wanna drive a car, you need to accept ALL of the advantages AND disadvantages. IMO

This sounds so dweeby. I’m just going to ogle the hot ones as per my usual habit and move along.

2 Likes

I hate buses. They are the ones driving recklessly and messing up traffic where I drive.

I know the roads in Danshui are way too narrow though.

1 Like

Last time I got a ticket the officer apologized for having to ticket me. I thought that was so funny. I just said thank you and was on my way.

Did you give him your license or pretend you don’t have it or an ID and act like you can’t speak Chinese? The second has worked for me every time for almost 30 years. Only gotten a few camera tickets.