Scanning colour and b/w negatives onto CDs in bulk

Anyone know a place where this can be done ? By bulk I mean perhaps 50 rolls of 36exp film. Also would need to be able to scan some single frame negatives.

All 35mm.

(or should I just buy a film scanner ?)

[quote=“hexuan”]Anyone know a place where this can be done ? By bulk I mean perhaps 50 rolls of 36exp film. Also would need to be able to scan some single frame negatives.

All 35mm.

(or should I just buy a film scanner ?)[/quote]

Buy a film scanner.

If it’s a one time deal, then take them somewhere to have them scanned. I would imagine that if your local photofinishing shop can’t do it, they know someone that can. If you are planning on regularly scanning slides/negatives in the future, then invest in a film scanner.

How much would a film scanner be? What would I have to pay attention to if I look for one? and, how computer-savy/film-handling-savy do you have to be to handle it?

I had 1.5 years of negatives scanned in about a month at my local foto shop after I realized that they offer the service of scanning. That means I have all my negatives since summer 2001 on CD now. I brought all my negatives from the time between 1990 and summer 2001 from Germany the last time I went home because it’s much easier and cheaper to have them scanned here than in Germany. However, buying a film scanner might actually be an option.

I bet Guanghua Changshang would be the place to look, right?

Iris

Everything depends on what resolution you want the output to be. And if you want very high quality, you need to have them drum scanned – about NT$7 to NT$10 per mb. For 300dpi at A4 (magazine quality), you’d need about 40mb/per photo. Not cheap.
(Isn’t this a technology issue?)

You can find some infos about film scanners here. There was an excellent site in German, but I can’t find it now. Basically, a few things one might have noticed with digital cameras apply here too: The ultimate marketing argument for the “average” customer is resolution, but there is much more to watch out for, so it can’t hurt to read a bit…

Try Jazz on Bade road. They do scans from negative to CD even you didn’t develop the film there. Not sure though if they can scan from single frame negatives but that should be easy to find out …

[quote=“Rascal”]
Try Jazz on Bade road. [/quote]

Jazz does terrible work. Go over to Zone 5 (not far from Jazz). I can’t remember the address but check the archives. If they don’t do scans they can point you to someone who can do it with professional [b]quality.[/b]

In fact, check out TIVAC (2 minutes walk from Zone 5)…they will probably be able to help you more. Ask for Mr. Chen…he’s a Malaysian Chinese photographer and knows what he’s doing.

tivac.net/