Schick 4 blade razor, Beware!

I just purchased one to replace a 3 blade guillete left overseas that was damn good.

I find the 4 blade Schick horrible. I feel like its going to cut all the time, even though it has not yet. I am hoping it and its back up razor head get blunt pretty quick so I can ditch them. I agree with the reviewers below who say its the worst razor they have ever used.

Reviews below from Amazon back this up. (there were good reviews as well but I used editorial license as follows)

1. I have a thick beard coupled with fairly sensitive skin, so your results might vary, but I found myself going over areas 3-4 times where the Mach 3 handled them in 1-2 swipes. I also got a few nicks around my jaw line that I never got with the Mach 3.

2.Bottom line: this razor is as effective as a car without tires. Don’t be fooled by the “ooohh, it has 4 blades” fad. More isn’t always better. 2 punches in the gut is more than 1 punch in the gut, but does that mean you would rather have 2? Stick with Gillette folks. For the best value (especially if you can buy them wholesale), the Gillette Custom Plus Pivot is the way to go.

3.I would like to save you the trouble that I had to go through I buying the Schick Quattro razor.
It was by far the worst shave I had ever had in my life. It did cut close but only after being dragged across my face four or five times. It wasn’t worth two cents. It was very rough on my face and I don’t even have a thick beard. All I did was irritate my face and cut myself.
It is far better to buy cheap plastic disposables. No joke they work better than that piece of junk.
I got one of my friends who didn’t believe me to try it and he had the same opinion.

4.WORST I MEAN WORST Razor i ever used in my life. Always a big fan of the Mach 3 but then Schick Quattro came out. Wow 4 blades! Going to give me a better shave… One use… 3 cuts, feeling my bread are being pluck out rather than shaving it! You know what? I rather pluck my beard off and not getting any cuts! Warbull(a reviewer) is right i wouldnt even use it to shave my dog!

5.Years ago, I shaved with the Schick FX Diamond, I liked it. Then I moved on the the Gillette Mach 3, marked improvement and have been happy with that for years. Now I come to the “next generation” of razors. I thought it would be a decent product because of the quality of the Diamond. I couldn’t be more wrong. I can not remember the last time I cut myself shaving. It felt as rough as those plastic ones you buy in 20 packs. I took one swipe with it and wanted to stop completely, unfortunately I did not have another razor handy. It felt like rubbing sand paper on already sensitive skin and it didn’t even shave closely. I will NEVER use this razor again. I want to run out and stock up on Mach 3 cartridges so I can survive until the 5 blade razor eventually comes out. Hopefully Gillete will make it.

Hah! A few years ago, when they came out with the three-blade fad, either SNL or “Almost Live” had a fake ad showing the new 27-blade razor that would eliminate shaving forever by taking off the beard, taking off the stubble, taking off the top layer of skin, taking off the bottom layer of skin, taking off the top layer of muscle, taking off the middle layer of muscle, taking off the bottom layer of muscle, taking off the tendons, taking off the top layer of bone. . . . :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Taiwan stuff that is. I get along with mine more or less, but not so good.

Name sounds German, but it is NOT German.

Schick = pretty or something.

Wish they would call their malfunctioning stuff by Chinese Names

[quote=“bob_honest”]Taiwan stuff that is. I get along with mine more or less, but not so good.

Name sounds German, but it is NOT German.

Schick = pretty or something.

Wish they would call their malfunctioning stuff by Chinese Names[/quote]
On behalf of everyone -

What?

Schick is not a Taiwanese company.

Yeah, Schick is a major name brand in razors. Sounds like they screwed up on their new product though. Never read so many passionately bad reviews for a product like a razor before. Must really suck. Brand I miss, though is Wilkinson Sword. They made a razor called the protector. Liked that one. It never, ever cut me. The Mach 3 is fine too, though.

I use this:
Titanium
SmartSystem – Cord/Cordless Shaver

You can see a picture of me there too.

What is the deal with that razor, don’t recall which one, that you “turn on” to use it, although it is not an electric, per se. I think it takes batteries?

Thats my picture.

tesco sells disposable razors - 10 pack - blue II plus … blah blah blah

anyways, i was using one with replaceable blades before, and got sick of paying $200 plus for 5 blades. switched to these, and got my dough’s worth. $90 something a package. i have a bloody baby’s ass for facial skin, and find that these are certainly no worse than anything else - still get a tiny cut or so, but no more.

i remember back when i dreamed of being able to shave … what an ass was i? :frowning:

The Mach 3 by Gillette is the real deal. Schick is copying Gillette like Microsoft copied Apple’s OS in order to stem what’s likely a very impressive loss of market share.

BTW, the Mach 3 is regarded as one of the finest consumer products available. Its launch by Gillette is studied in American business schools as a model of consumer-packaged goods’ melding of engineering and marketing (yeah, I know: booooring). If I remember correctly, Gillette patented the laser-based manufacturing technology reponsible for its popularity. Gillette made good - spectacularly - on the Mach 3 promises implied in all its Mach 3 marketing initiatives.

The damn blades are so good that I routinely get 28 days out of each ‘blade’ (3 blade cartridge, that is) (medium-strength beard, and I shave every day except Sundays). No other blade I have used ever lasted longer than 7 days, and the range was like 4-7 days. For my beard, the Mach 3 craps out on day 29 almost as regularly as clockwork. The blades are expensive but, because they retain a sharp edge for such a long period of time, they’re actually an excellent value.

It’s a helluva product, imo.

Of course, now Gillette has come out with the ridiculous ‘Turbo’ as a blatant NAI bump to revenue (New And Improved and yes, they’re slightly more expensive than the original). I’ll just stick with the original until Gillette figures out how to move me off 'em. It’s likely the originals will eventually get ‘discontinued’ in an effort to move me up to something more suited to Gillette’s as-yet-unknown but surely future operating margin for this product. Such are the vagaries of American consumer goods, sigh.

See I find this odd. I had no luck or love from Mach 3’s they either worked great or I came out looking like I went through a glass window at high speed. The blades only lasted about a 2 weeks tops and then they were expensive as hell. So I tried out some cheaper 2 blade disposable schick’s and they work like a charm and will last up to 30 days. So they work better, twice as long, and are a third of the cost.

Worst thing about Mach 3’s is that if your gf/wife/SO uses them to shave her legs and doesn’t tell you, then hit 119 on the phone and have them bring over a blood transfusion pronto.

Now what I want to know is what damn fool would trust his face to some 4 bladed monstosity that any reasonable person would avoid.

CYA
Okami

[quote=“flike”]The Mach 3 by Gillette is the real deal. …
Of course, now Gillette has come out with the ridiculous ‘Turbo’ as a blatant NAI bump to revenue (New And Improved and yes, they’re slightly more expensive than the original). I’ll just stick with the original until Gillette figures out how to move me off 'em.[/quote]

Are the handles interchangeable on these razors? For example can I put a Mach 3 cartridge on my Sensor Excel handle? Or are they incompatible, to force everybody to buy the new handle?

Schick is Wilkinson Sword.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“flike”]The Mach 3 by Gillette is the real deal. …
Of course, now Gillette has come out with the ridiculous ‘Turbo’ as a blatant NAI bump to revenue (New And Improved and yes, they’re slightly more expensive than the original). I’ll just stick with the original until Gillette figures out how to move me off 'em.[/quote]

Are the handles interchangeable on these razors? For example can I put a Mach 3 cartridge on my Sensor Excel handle? Or are they incompatible, to force everybody to buy the new handle?[/quote]

The Mach 3 is not interchangeable with the Sensor Excel. The Mach 3 handle’s socket attachment to the blade cartridge is much wider than that of the Excel. If you look closely, you can see that the handle is also slightly offset from the plane defined by the blade-cartridge itself; the blade’s plane is ‘below’ that of the handle itself. What I mean is, the handle forms kind of a soft S-shape. I suspect they did that so that it’s much easier to put all 3 blades in simultaneous contact with your face, and it may be why Okami cut himself badly. Because of this shape, my experience has been that it really takes less pressure applied to your face to achieve the same result. If you’re used to shaving with a Sensor, and if you don’t account for the different shape - the offset blades - then you might press too hard with the Mach 3.

Selling razors and razorblades uses a business model that’s been well-known for years. The handles are inexpensive - the profit’s all in selling the blade cartridges. It’s similar to the model used (now) to sell wireless telephony services: the phone’s often dirt cheap, maybe free, the carrier’s profit lies in the monthly service fees. Same thing. I had to buy a new handle a few months ago, and it came with 3 Mach 3 blades. The difference in price between this bundle and a box of 4 Mach 3 blades was about a buck and a half US. In other words, the new handle’s retail price is roughly equivalent to the price of 2 blade cartridges - or about nt$100.

Granted, it does add to one’s seemingly growing sense that as a consumer in order to participate in even the simplest things anymore, one has to buy into somebody’s ‘system’ first. Christ, buying wireless phones in the US is unbelievably complex due to this very thing - so many damn plans. So I certainly understand how you could justifiably think, ‘hell with them, I already own a handle.’

Of course - if you want a really close shave with a blade that will last you could use an old fashioned “safety razor”. The quotes are because they don’t seem all that safe - but they do give you a very close shave and the blades last a lot onger than the mach 3 or sensor.

I have a beard that Desperate Dan would be proud of, so whatever I use is worn out in two weeks tops. I also prefer the disposable Schick 2-blade razor since they do a decent job and at that price it’s no heartache to bin them after 14 days. Using a gel helps a lot.

Schick is Wilkinson Sword.[/quote]

I think that Schick bought them. They used to exist separately, now they don’t. One can never be sure in the world of corporate parents, take-overs, subsidiaries and mergers. Heck, I saw on a program not too long ago where Nike’s CEO proudly proclaimed that his company made nothing at all. Brand names mean nothing anymore. Still, I did like that particular razor.

suprising, never seen that stuff in Germany before. Thanks for the enlightenment.

[quote=“hsiadogah”]Using a gel helps a lot.[/quote]Do you prefer gel to foam?

My routine is showering first and splashing some nice hot water on my face to soften the hairs a bit. Then I put on shaving foam. In the last week I’ve started massaging the foam into the skin a bit rather than just spreading it on. Seems to make a difference.

Also I never used to know that you have to shave the neck and part of the lower jaw in an upwards direction. Much better.

Real men use a lighter. Manly men use a blowtorch.

I use the Mach 3 and it’s worked great.

I find the best way to get a really close shave is to wash your face with very hot water and then cover it with gel before the skin has a chance to cool. Then lather the gel in for a full minute before starting to shave. I find I get a closer shave, fewer nicks and the blades last longer. I can usually get 14-20 days off one…

Costco has good prices on replacement blades. I think I paid about 279NT for 2-four packs last time I was up there.