School Closure/Open information (new semester from Sep. 1)

The link in the post is an article on school closure

3 Likes

There must be some support besides ‘unpaid leave’ :rage:

5 Likes

I asked one of the teachers, who are being forced to go in to school, if she could work from home. She replied, oh some teachers are taking unpaid leave to work from home, yes.

1 Like

Did I read that right? So they’re allowed to work from home but don’t get paid for it?

5 Likes

Yes, that was her answer!

2 Likes

Wow, amazing. Such generous.

6 Likes

Taiwan is very old fashioned in terms of working from home culture. Bosses of the companies think that if someone works from home it means they do nothing, no work at all.
All in all, working from home and not being paid for it is out of order!

1 Like

I’m asked to teach from home, and it isn’t unpaid…
I guess this is where all the Asian toxic work mindset comes in. Japan has a similar problem when it comes to work.

1 Like

This is a local public elementary school.

I’m a FET at 3 different public schools. I was given this option too but I didn’t want to get my salary reduced. So I’m reporting to school to teach online.

Now the school is actually asking me if I want to teach online from home, with salary intact. The school is trying to find a way to make sure that I report to work as usual before 8am.

Haven’t gotten the real answer yet, but this should also be an option to ALL teachers…

2 Likes

WTF… what city are you in? I’m also an FET. All teachers on a rotating basis to keep the number of people in the building down. I only have to physically go into the school once a week. Other days are work from home. With full salary of course

My impression from speaking to the teacher is that the whole staff were in, presumably twiddling their thumbs. Sure, they are setting some homework each day, and there will always be some admin I suppose. But the principal can’t bring himself to do it, they are on a salary, they must be at their desks!

I’m in Tainan. I think the rapidly increasing number of COVID cases here is the reason why. The school is saying that if we can find a way to prove “punching in,” this shouldn’t be a problem. It’s all confusing the heck out of all the teachers, including myself.

3 Likes

I have to “sign in” by attending an online meeting at 8:00, and clock out with a Google form at the clock out time.

4 Likes

WTF?! The school is treating you like an hourly paid individual?

1 Like

I work for a public school and do not have to do anything like that. This is weird…

1 Like

There are now parent groups organizing child care for parents who still need to work, but have no one to take care of the kids.
This basically makes school closures obsolete. But what are those parents supposed to do? Government suggests to take unpaid leave !!! for parents who need two incomes to get by.

What is government going to do when there is an outbreak in such places?

1. They probably will not know since nobody is going to rat out themselves.

2. They want to fine struggling families hundreds of thousands of dollars? This will end in more charcoal suicides.

3 Likes

Soon we’ll have history books detailing the “underground schools”.

Yesterday news said that the Ministry of Education would publish during the morning press conference the daily number students who tested positive for Covid. Anyone saw today’s number announcement for that?

1 Like

+18
163 in total

in Mandarin.

2 Likes