School Closures - will we get paid?

Does anyone have any info on the law, or heard of any particular school policy ?

From today’s Taipei Times:
[color=red]Close buxibans, lawmaker urges[/color]

[quote=“Maoman”]From today’s Taipei Times:
[color=red]Close buxibans, lawmaker urges[/color]
[/quote]

Yeah I saw that - and who knows whether or not it will happen - but I suspect the buxibans will try not to pay foreign teachers. I don’t know if I can go two weeks (or more) without pay.

hexuan,

I think it would depend on if teachers are salaried or hourly.

The bushiban association has quite a bit of power so I can’t see schools closing. Then again, who know???

Does anybody know the outcome of the meeting today ?

If one third of the public schools in your district (city, county?)close due to SARS then bushibans in that district also close.

I hope this is correct.

I don’t know about others’ contracts but mine has a clause stating that in the event of typhoons, disasters and the like I will receive full pay for missed classes. I would like to think my school would honour this … :?

Forced Majuere

IS this Virus an act of God?

Maybe they would pay half the slary or something to get by… but I do not think most tight fisted owners of schools would appreciate them to be put out of pocket by this

Maybe the government will subsidize this?

If they do close the schools by ordering them closed or else they will be fined etc… there will be some onus on the government to compensate the teachers or the teachers through the school… be it part time or full time

If they do close all the buxies, forget the pay. Check the Taipei Times tomorrow for a followup. My guess is 10,000 schools will close Friday for two months. no pay at all. Thank God, I saved for two years, I can weather the storm. Hex, if you need money, maybe I can loan you some to tide you over. This is a time to stick together and help everyone out. It’s not gonna be a pretty picture. Get ready.

I think this is a good time for people with long term plans to stick together. It is in no-one’s interest for all the teachers to leave and the industry to collapse. We will have to watch it day by day.

saw in the news in meeting of buxiban associations and jiaoyubu proposal was scotched, buxibans are to be treated the same as other schools. singling out buxibans among all the “public places” in Taipei didn’t seem likely to be adopted. liwei makes show–jiaoyubu puts on a show to say they did something–proposal was dead from moment it was suggested.

ha, I’m enjoying a week vacation, “xiaodu, getting ready to take students temperatures, no no one at the school has sars, blah blah blah” parents were pleased. had to withold my own pay, ha :slight_smile:

no pay this week, but can make up the hours next week in the mornings. A compromise that everyone agreed on.

Is Hess paying ? Is ELSI (or whatever it’s called now) paying ? Jump Start ? Happy Marion ? etc

Please post if you know.

[quote=“hexuan”]Is Hess paying ? Is ELSI (or whatever it’s called now) paying ? Jump Start ? Happy Marion ? etc

Please post if you know.[/quote]

I used to work for Kojen (ELSI) and as far as I know…all my ex-colleagues are still working and being paid…

However, rampant SARS paranoia runs deep…who nows what tomorrow will bring…hell…taiwan closed the border on me mid-flight…

I have been back in Taiwan 30 hours and have had my temperature taken 6x already…

Hexuan, if the government closes down the schools for 2 weeks, Happy Marian will not be paying teachers. Basically it’s up to every individual branch to decide, but as they won’t be getting any help from the government they’ll use that as an excuse.
My teaching director told me that she contacted Labour Insurance or whatever and was told that, since people working in Taiwan get 10 days unpaid leave per year, the government will not even “help” the Taiwanese teachers at our school.
I don’t care what excuse who happens to be using, it’s just good to know for sure that there will be no pay. I am eternally grateful to my director for revealing this after a lengthy discussion.

[quote=“twonavels”]Hexuan, if the government closes down the schools for 2 weeks, Happy Marian will not be paying teachers. Basically it’s up to every individual branch to decide, but as they won’t be getting any help from the government they’ll use that as an excuse.
My teaching director told me that she contacted Labour Insurance or whatever and was told that, since people working in Taiwan get 10 days unpaid leave per year, the government will not even “help” the Taiwanese teachers at our school. I don’t care what excuse who happens to be using, it’s just good to know for sure that there will be no pay. I am eternally grateful to my director for revealing this after a lengthy discussion.[/quote]
Hmm yes, a bit of honesty helps. My school is telling me they haven’t made a decision yet. That leads me to believe that if they’re not completely clueless altogether they have decided to not pay the teachers and aren’t telling us.

Something from tealit:

[i]Q. Who can I call about SARS and my job?

A. The Labor Affairs Council has set up a hotline for foreign workers in Taiwan who have questions about how they should proceed in regard to their work permits, compensation for SARS quarantines and other issues. The number is 0800-885-885. The government has announced that all SARS leaves will be at full pay. Part of the 50 billion budget passed will be to compensate employers for the paid leave.

It is possible that your school has not enrolled you in the Labor Insurance program. That would be in violation of the Labor Law. Regardless of if your school has properly accounted for your enrollment in the Labor Insurance program, foreign teachers are entitled to full compensation for SARS leaves.

Teachers are considered White Collar workers. It has been announced that if a Blue Collar worker actually develops SARS, they will be allowed to stay in the country until they recover, but at that time will have to leave. Their ARCs will be canceled. Procedures for White Collar workers in similar situations have not been announced.

tealit.com SARS Report [/i]

Anyone know anything about this ? Are they going to make an arbitrary distinction between hourly and salaried teachers ?