School filed a compliant against me for embezzlement

Crazy lady is after me about this mess. Gave me a book and camera to teach a class. I got sick and couldn’t do the class. She seemed pretty off as she got my hours wrong, underpaid me, and was otherwise pretty creepy.

I did 1 day beyond what I had already been paid for. I asked her to go ahead and settle up with me. Meet me near my place and we could exchange items - my pay and her things. I sent her the Google address. 5 minutes before she was supposed to be there she writes explaining she’s lost and can’t make it. The meeting place is next to a very famous landmark in the city.

I tell her to wire the money and add postage and I would mail her things. She refused this arrangement and insisted we meet. We set another date. I write again explaining I needed to change the meeting time an hour later. Radio silence for days as she never answers. She writes saying she’s nearby but I’m not near as she never confirmed.

Anyhow, I find out at the doctor’s office she never paid the health insurance she deducted. I wrote asking her to return that fee. The pay date comes and goes so a week after the pay date I ask her if she’s going to pay me. She then says I’m holding her property hostage.

Anyhow, after explaining I would call the labor office she sends me the payment less $500 !!! She had already sent me a pay slip showing what she was going to pay me but it’s short $500 !!! I bring this to her attention and as soon as she pays the amount I take her things to the nearest police station just as I told her I would. I sent her photos of her things in the police station along with the phone number and google address to the place. 3 days later she files a compliant against me for embezzlement.

1 Like

Did she file a false report? The only way we communicated was via line. Her things were delivered to the police the same day she paid me and I gave her the location just as we agreed.

How can this not be a false police report since she filed the report 2 or 3 days after me delivering her things as discussed? Anyone know of the statute for false swearing?

1 Like

It’s somewhere in the Criminal Code.

It sounds like her case is flimsy, but talk to a lawyer anyway. :2cents:

1 Like

We had an agreement. The understanding was she would send the payment and I would leave the things with the police

So what is everyone’s opinion? We had always agreed to meet to make the exchange.

Did you have an actual agreement or is that what you told her you would do?

2 Likes

My opinion is that your behaviour seems a bit passive-aggressive, as was hers. I don’t think that matters legally.

1 Like

Yes, it was an agreement. There were at least 4 occasions we agreed to or discussed meeting to exchange the goods/payment. We had an understanding that we would meet for the exchange. She said she didn’t trust me and I sure as hell didn’t trust her.

She put this in writing that she would only send the payment after she got her things back.

I’ve looked around and her withholding pay because I still had company property is illegal in most US states and also the UK. I was not withhold her camera. We simply didn’t have enough time in our schedules to meet.

She had told me to leave the camera with my building’s security office and she’d leave my pay but shit - you know I’d get a red envelope with a single $100 bill.

She obviously agreed to the arrangement. She sent the money and I left her goods with the police.

The world is full of kangaroo courts. They’ll probably put me in jail for 10 years or more.

To be clear, I’m not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to understand the situation.

The fact that she transferred you the money does not necessarily mean that she agreed with leaving her things with the police, unless she cleared said so, like sending a ‘OK’ message after you proposed this arrangement.

She may try to argue that she was fulfilling her obligations and hoping that doing so would make you return her property or something like that.

People can be sneaky, so make sure you have the facts straight or they will try to twist them on their favor.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Prosecuting someone for theft (or embezzlement, or suing for debt)

Like I said, all along we had been discussing meeting for the exchange. I asked her to meet me at a very famous mrt but she refused saying she didn’t have the exact address. She refused without even asking for the exit number or anything so it seemed to me she just wanted to be difficult.

I don’t doubt that.

Like I said before, she previously said she’d go to my building’s security desk to get the things and leave the red envelope. Going to the police station just down the street from my house instead is a deal breaker? She gave me the camera without any strings attached. We never signed any contract for anything. Everything was verbal. Besides a few emails and many more line messages there isn’t anything. I didn’t ask to borrow the camera she gave it to me along with a book for leading the student for the online class. I only had it in my possession for like 35 or 40 days.

I’m good with it all. If I get the kangaroo treatment I’ll be glad to tell the story again and again what a screwed up country this is to work in and what a legal gamble it is doing anything in Taiwan.

It’s a screwed up country because one woman is trying to steal from you?

1 Like

I love the place. I said “If I get the kangaroo treatment”.

I’m glad you said “trying to steal from you”. I’m glad you see this.

I misunderstood my apologies.

Yeah, but does the camera and book even say anything about being property of the other person? If so, OP could just as well make the case that it’s his😂

The health insurance thing you def need to look into. I don’t know if this is an issue for a lawyer or the labor bureau. I’d try the labor bureau first, since they don’t cost money.

Take whatever it is the police have you to the foreign police unit. Ask to speak to a detective or prosecutor that speaks fluent English. Give them screenshots of the entire exchange and agreements you made on Line. Tell the police you wish to file a complaint against her.

The police will probably just call her and tell her to withdraw her accusation or they will charge her with criminal charges and you’ll be able to sue her for false accusation. Even if she withdraws the complaint they might still charge her.

@JPMichaels1 suggestion is good I think but I’d also run it by a lawyer first before you talk with police, just my humble opinion.
You have no idea what connections she has to be able to get cops to harass you over this vs simply calling you and telling you to return it.