School laid off a foreign teacher

Ok he’s the oldest and they hired a newbie that’s why.
No, warning them makes no difference they might only want to be there one year or two anyway.
Go to the council of labor affairs. Mention he’s the oldest too.

This is a good question.

Hmmm, he started as a full time employee. After years of service, he negotiated about salary increase but they couldn’t provide it.

So he decided to find another job and got one, which pays him more.

So that makes him a part timer in this school.

So I don’t know if that considers him as an employee or worker. :sweat_smile:

You live in Hualian you could probably be 120 and get hired there. (Just kidding):joy:
I’m guessing her husband is working in some upmarket area of Taipei.

Hualian, so far away from me lol

The law requires the school to calculate and pay severance pay when the term of employment ends. Labor Standards Act (Article 17).

The Labor court rules on the nature of the working relationship to determine whether your work falls under the Labor Standards Act. It doesn’t matter if your contract is labelled ‘commission contract’ or contains clauses that fall below the provisions of the Labor Standards Act if the subordinate working relationship is established. There are three or four conditions that have to be satisfied on a form, you need one tick in each section for the labor relation to be established as falling under LSA.

First step to take is to go to the City hall and file for mediation, outlining your complaint. Must be done within 28 days or so of last day of work. Most of the time mediation will generate a payout from an employer, particularly if you make a bunch of reports to the relevant authorities in the meantime and offer to drop them in return for $$$.

3 Likes

A few year’s ago my cram school tried to do this to me. It was already close to the end of the year so I basically just waiting out my contract and then finding another employer later on.

The school decided to pay his severance pay when his boss from the other school talked to them. Obviously, it’s affecting their business too because it’s a long process😬.

1 Like