School Miscommunication and Visa Extension

I am set to finish my contract next week and due to some communicational problems and uncertainty of my next step I didn’t renew for a second year.

That aside, I still haven’t manged to line up a new job in time, so I am now looking to extend my visa.

My first question is that I want to do this ASAP, as I worry easily I stress having to leave Taiwan suddenly, I have 5 weeks until my ARC expires.
Is it possible to extend now or do I need to wait until I am released from my contract next week?

Secondly, this is the tricky one.
Because of miscommunication between management, 6 months ago I had to change address and location of the school. I remember at the time they told me we would need to update our address. As the process for my ARC required me to do nothing, I ignorantly assumed it was the same thing and that it would all be done themselves manually on some database somewhere.
Now I need to extend my ARC, I noticed that my card still has my old address, my school didn’t make me aware of the consequences of this, and of course now I have come to renew I have seen the notice that I need to pay a fine of up to 10,000ntd.
Basically, do I have a legal leg to stand on because of miscommunication? And will it affect my request for extension having blindly violated a rule?

Tl;dr:
Can I request my ARC to be extended a week before my contract ends?
My address wasn’t updated because of communicational issues, am I screwed?

Cheers!

Go to the nearest immigration office and ask to extend your visa so you can look for a job.

They will give you a six month extension. When you secure a new job go back and tell them. They will issue you with an updated ARC.

get a contract termination letter from your school, and go to NIA asap. You don’t need to wait till the last day of your contract. Your ARC could be canceled within a few days from the last day.

If your work permit was updated, not updating your ARC is not a big issue, iiuc. They will tell what you should do.

Thanks for the quick replies.
I went to the immigration office and extended my visa no problem, they didn’t ask any questions about my address, I pick up the ARC in two weeks.

6 Likes

They’re such good people there. Really keen to help.