School not paying for Health Insurance

My school has said that they are not going to pay for any new teachers monthly health insurance and that they will have to join a Union. They said that this is a new rule in Taiwan. Has anyone even heard of this before??

:roflmao:

Please, oh please tell me this is a troll. Check the IP address. Probably leads back to JimiP.
Nice one though.

If you’re a foreigner on an ARC. (non-Taiwan citizen)…then it’s TOTAL BULLSHIT!

Please, oh please tell me this is a troll. Check the IP address. Probably leads back to JimiP.
Nice one though.[/quote]
My dear Sir, I have neither the time nor the inclination to fuck around with smurf accounts. Rest assured. And I pity those who do. :bow:

I am being dead serious! But because I already have a work permit with my school, they said I could stay on receiving my health insurance through them. However, all new teachers would be asked to join a Union. Where they would pay 60% and the Union 40%. They said some Cram schools have already started to begin this. I guess it’s going to be really hard to get any future teachers to work at our schools. I know that they are just trying to be cheap and cut corners, but COME ON!

Foreigners aren’t allowed to unionize! If they were, there would have been an English teachers’ union for years already. I suggest you tell your management that you will go to the tax office and the CLA to have them give you the straight scoop regarding what your school is shoveling!

My guess is Jimi too! Jimi, You are getting too well known for these trolls.

Some more schemes to siphon off money, they never end.

I think its more or less par for the course.

:astonished: Wow.

How much money we talking about? I understand its not much.

Over here in California, it costs on average 450usd/month to get proper health insurance per person.

When i get married, even with the company paying a good contribution towards the wifes health insurance, I will still have to pay around 260usd /month out of MY paycheck.

Foreigners aren’t allowed to unionize! If they were, there would have been an English teachers’ union for years already. I suggest you tell your management that you will go to the tax office and the CLA to have them give you the straight scoop regarding what your school is shoveling![/quote]

Staggering level of ignorance and misinformation! Of course, you are absolutely allowed to join a 工會. You wrongly assume that these associations always partake in the kind of organizing and activism activities their western counterparts might. That’s not their function in this case, or in many cases in this country. In fact, if I were to translate their names, I would choose “professional association,” rather than “union,” just to avoid the confusion that “union” gives to westerners. Myself, I’ve been a member of 新北市升學補習教學人員職業工會 for quite a while now. It serves as a central, independent place through which to pay and receive your various benefits. I pay my 健保, 勞保 as well as something called 團保-- a group accident/life insurance through them. I also pay for my family’s health insurance through them. I MUCH prefer to do things this way. For one, employers often don’t pay the laobao unemployment insurance/retirement benefit, or accident insurance. Two, if you are JFRV/APRC and do a lot of freelancing, editing, translating etc, and seldom have a single full time employer, it’s just a better, more stable way to manage your benefits. Third, it’s a better deal/offers more than paying for these benefits through your shi gongsuo. I think if an employer is directing their staff to these associations, they’re actually doing them a favour.

[quote=“tommy525”]How much money we talking about? I understand its not much.

Over here in California, it costs on average 450usd/month to get proper health insurance per person.

When I get married, even with the company paying a good contribution towards the wifes health insurance, I will still have to pay around 260usd /month out of MY paycheck.[/quote]

The amount is still small compared to the US but it’s still significant for the school. I saw the chart once but the school pays about 75% of the NHI cost while the employee pays a small amount. For a teacher making 60,000/mo it would be about 3000/mo (school payment) and 1000/mo (employee). Those are just ballpark numbers but relatively close I think. The amount paid for NHI increases as an employee earns more.

The situations described in this thread are precisely what the CLA is for. The school has definitely not filed the English version of your contract with them. there is actually no way that they can enforce the English version since the Chinese version is what they submitted when they got your work permit. And this (the Chinese version) is the official contract that is enforceable. If anyone is actually goes to the CLA for help then they should have already started looking for a job but you really don’t want to work for that school anyway.

You are working… you MUST MUST MUST report your income and pay your fair share of the taxes. You are only allowed NOT to pay taxes if your income is less that a certain minimum. Get on it. If you want to stay in this country, get married you will be up the creek without a paddle. I still see red when I see this happens. Fifteen years ago, my boss paid me in cash. My fiance insisted that I get a paper report of income and taxwith each pay packet. At the end of the year… my boss was relectant to give me my Income statement. I was getting angry becuause the tax office was giving prizes or chances to win something to early filers… And… being formally in sales, I will give just for that squeeky toy. Anyway… it was getting close to being too late… and I got my form… NO TAX OWED! NO Refund Due!

I had to camp outside his home and call him on the the phone every ten minutes until he agreeed to have his accountant fix this “mistake” All a miss understanding. … I put up with him for over 7 years doing this because there were no jobs in my village… or with in decent commuting distance… One of my goals… when my Chinese is well enough it show him the paper work and tell him in perfect Chinese that he is either a stupid business man or a thief for even dare thinking to do this to his employees.