School refusing withholding tax statements

Here are a couple of screen captures of the proxy statement:

But I think the best thing would be to download it from the site:

When I typed in “憑單無紙化” (“paperless voucher”?) in Google and clicked “Images,” I got a pretty fair number of images of computer screens.

So I have a few questions:

(1) Does “paperless taxation” mean filling out and sending in the return by computer?

(I tried the computer method once a few years back, and it worked out okay, but I wasn’t always sure of what I was doing, so I went back to paper, except on a few occasions when the people at the tax office have done the return for me, without my asking them to.)

(2) If the answer to (1) is yes, does that mean that a taxpayer can only get withholding information directly from the tax office if the taxpayer is filling out the form by computer and sending it by computer here in Taiwan? Or in other words, does the tax office refuse to give withholding information to people who intend to use a paper tax return form?

(3) If the answer to (2) is yes, then I have no more questions. If the answer to (2) is, “No, the tax office can issue printouts of withholding information to taxpayers who don’t intend to do their returns by computer,” then assuming that the tax office has the OP’s withholding information, why can’t the tax office just send the OP a printout of the withholding information along with a blank tax return form?

I’m aware that there might be security issues, but I don’t see why security would make the thing impossible.

Normally, your employer should provide you with a copy of the form, but if they do not, the tax office will also have a copy. In the past, I have filed without receiving a copy from my employer.

1 Like

Getting a printout doesn’t look exactly like paperless filing to me, but maybe I’m just wrong. Anyway, I’ll just post this little bit more, and then I’ll try to stop belaboring the point (which may not be a good point anyway).

These quotes are from a 2007 thread that discusses printouts that apparently contain the same information as that of the withholding statements:

I’m in Taiwan twice next month for a few days each time, but that’s not a very long trip. Realistically I would probably do it 1/25 or 1/26. If someone else can go sooner feel free.

1 Like

Draft legal threat letter:

The translation of parts of the Income Tax Act is copied from the MOJ’s website, so I take no responsibility for it. :innocent:

This draft is, of course, not legal advice.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this!! Once again, there is silence from the school so I shall send them a copy of this if I have still heard nothing next week, and keep you updated.

Iron Lady, wasn’t you that once helped pay a friendly visit to a school in Kaohsiung to help out a house cat.
It looks like this got way beyond my understanding with all these forms. Indya, I bet that as soon as the school sees a foreigner who has the proper documentation and ready to fight, they school will fold like a cheap camera and give you everything you need. Every school like this skirts the law. If they know you will turn them in with “clout” they will fix this misunderstanding.
Good luck.

Yes, I do enjoy the occasional “friendly visit” to recalcitrant organizations.

1 Like

If we were to organise a proxy to go and collect them for us, as Ironlady has so kindly offered, do we need paperwork to say we have appointed such proxy? I note that the forms posted above are for a proxy to file the whole tax return to the tax office on our behalf, but currently we just need the withholding tax statements collected.

The document I linked to just appears to be designating a proxy for collecting a tax refund. I merely found it, linked to it, and slapped it up there on the board thoughtlessly, for which I apologize.

Beyond mine, too. :slight_smile: However, I wonder whether it might be possible to tinker with the Word document in the link to get it to be about a proxy for collecting the withholding form(s) instead of the refund. But that’s beyond my abilities.

I now see that I am completely out of my league in this matter, and I therefore completely defer to ironlady and yyy for the whole shebang, but especially to ironlady, since she has indicated she might go over there in person, which would be extremely cool.

I don’t think it would make much difference, really. I won’t be in Taiwan long enough to help with filing taxes, and anyway, what will happen if I go down there with or without a document in my hand will be that they’ll (best case) say “Oh…yeah, those…” and then make an excuse about how they aren’t ready but they can have them by [insert date after I’ll be back in the US].

No way they have them just sitting in a file somewhere, or even if they did, no way they would admit it, most likely.

I believe a simple mandate (“I appoint X as my proxy for the purpose of Y”) should be sufficient.

If picking up the tax statements constitutes a juridical act that’s required by one law or another to be performed in writing, then the mandate also needs to be in writing (Civil Code Art. 531), and apparently that means physically signed, and apparently if you’re overseas you’re supposed to use the form you can get from your local TECO/TECRO.

I’m not aware of any such requirement for tax statements (and I have received them in the mail), but if the school is already trying to be super-annoying, who knows what it might claim? :roll:

2 Likes

Most likely for just picking up statements, the “bluff it out” method would work equally well. Like I said, I suspect the issue is going to be actually getting the forms, not whether they would give the forms to me (as opposed to someone else, or someone with a proxy in their hand). They’re almost sure to say they don’t have them ready, and would I mind coming back the following Thursday, or whatever.

Hi ironlady, I’m trying to pm u but can’t seem to do it from my mobile. Could you please pm me so I can reply that way, thanks!

Oh, seems I haven’t posted enough for private messaging.

The last email I received from the school said I could go and collect them in person and to let them know when I would be there so that the documents would be ready. I guess they are calling my bluff as they know I’m no longer in the country, so if anyone would like to earn a few bucks (@ironlady?? :grinning:) and head out there on my behalf please let me know and we could arrange something. :pray:

At this moment, you can tell them you will show up on 1/25 or 1/26 to pick up the documents. (Need confirmed by @ironlady). Ironlady would be your proxy with power of attorney, so you are not lying.

I can do that.

That would be great. @ironlady are u able to pm me as I’m unable to do so?

Update: The school is holding out and insisting upon paperwork if we do not turn up ourselves in person to collect the statements. Is anyone out there able to draft a simple proxy notice in Chinese at all?? :pray: