School requiring me to book 40k NTD hotel

I think you are over complicating things. Your entering taiwan (or any country) and your school life are 2 completely different things.

If you want convenience, can trust everyone and are willing to put your future in other peoples hands: Follow their way. Normally, people do things themselves. It is EASY to book hotels (even in English). This whole fiasco seems to be due to a virus and has to do with government entry requirements, not your school or their business relationships.

You dont need to report them nor get all butt hurt about anything they say. You just do it yourself and show up to class on time. Its that simple. If they INSIST you go through their expensive version, then you can report because that level of cobtrol is WAY above their pay grade! But them giving you an option, which may be more expensive in this situation, is frankly fair. If they give you an ultimatum and say use theirs or youre not welcome to attend classes, that enters a problem which you can report them on.

I wasnt joking about face above. It sounds bad and you certainly wont listen to my advice until you learn the language, then culture…but its true. Not a hate on taiwan, just a fact.

in their mind they might just think they are helping you by providing an option. and you became an asshole by threatening them. Not realizing that they put forth the impression to you that its their way or the highway. Its good to be level headed about things.

I would simply book your own, send them the data that is required, and let them know you wont need assistance in seeking a quarantine hotel. If they do have issues with that (assuming you are being respectful and not challenging their glass hearts), there are many other schools which can attain student visas. Including national schools.

Its worth mentioning most schools have lack lustre education quality and they are simply a business. Like a mcdonalds flipping burgers. You get out what you put in. In other words, they need you more than you need them…the customer is always right kind of thing. You are their customer. Plus they like to collect flags like a todler likes to collect stickers. They tend to also share a similar level of maturity :wink:

7 Likes

my taiwanese friend just called the moe
and according to them its actually the schools responsibility to book all of this shit.

fuck
now i need to apologize.
help

Take Explant’s advice. The American way of getting things done by aggressively complaining the loudest will not work here. It’s all about being polite, respectful and persistent. Dripping water wears through the rock - 滴水穿石

4 Likes

JFC. I feel bad for you, but thanks for the laugh, I needed it.

1 Like

It may be their responsibility to help you and they may make their own rules about how to attend to that responsibility, but are you obligated to accept that help? Or, can you go your own way as others have suggested?

1 Like

Stop in the UK as has been suggested. They will put you in a central government facility. It’s free.

I would rather go to another school.

I think your friend may have gotten the incomplete message. The university books the accomodations for the university students. But you are not exactly a university student because you are a language student studying at a university affiliated language center. Hence, the difference.

And you have a scholarship.

Now, one issue is whether you can book a different, cheaper place, as in physically able to find one. If you are studying anywhere near Taipei, well, that is challenging but doable. But time is running out as more students are coming in, everyone going for the cheapest.

Another issue is whether you are allowed. If my reading comprehension is ok, you should. But as said, it will generate ill will.

Therefore, my suggestion is booking a language university course in Yilan, Tainan, Kaohsiung… elsewhere. Start all over again.

1 Like

Just book it yourself, as many others have said. It’s quite simple.

1 Like

Yeah I think this would be my takeaway as well.

2 Likes

This is true, but $40k is near the low end of the cost of those on the list. That’s $2667 per night, which isn’t much more than the government facility. Many are double that price.

1 Like

Maybe you a find a cheap hotel here

2 Likes

lmao

that’s a freakin absurd price for a hotel for 2 weeks? 40,000 NTD? good lord. Nearly 3k a day? give me a god damn break.

This is the governments way of propping up the hotel industry which has been circling the drains. School probably has a deal with the directors cousin who owns some hotel and are giving him good business by horse shitting everybody. Welcome to Taiwan.

But you said you’re going to the language center at the school? can’t you just call up another school? plenty schools looking for students? sounds a bit absurd.

7 Likes

Well…yeah…less than a hundred bucks a day for a hotel room with three meals? Check other major cities around the world and see how far that will get you. It’s certainly not as nice as staying at your own home, but that’s not an option anymore. Given the available options, it’s not gonna get much better than that. We’ve all known that’s the scam for three or four months now. Unless we get the Taiwan government to change its policy, that’s what we are left with.

tuition is 25kntd for 3 months.
they expect to me to pay double that for two weeks in a shoebox?

1 Like

the odd part is they said, they are all sold out, which has to be complete horse balls.

yes they said the GOVERNment quaratine facility which is 22kntd is sold out and the only one i can do is the 35kntd.

ugh. who should i call at their school?
I dont think i can switch schools this late.
all the winter semesters apps are closed.

that’s what they said, how can you check a list of quarantine hotels?

ive had my fair share of Taiwanese telling me bullshit lies to my face.
They wouldn’t even provide an address to the hotel? this sounds like some horse shit.
there has to be way more, I’m sure there is a number you can call to find out this info.

Taiwan foreigner Helpline

Now you can call 24 hr toll-free line: 0800-024-111 anytime to inquire on the information that you need directly. The purpose of this hotline: To provide the information about VISA renew, residence permit, work, education, healthcare, tax and others involved with the life of foreigners in Taiwan.

what city are you going to?
this may be helpful, Just get one booked you like and do it your self. they won’t be mad when you show up, tell em your cousin at the AIT embassy set you up.

https://taiwan.taiwanstay.net.tw/covhotel/

or use a booking website or app.
https://asiayo.com/en-us/

try that Asia yo. I just went on ASIA yo… But idk which one is a quarantine hotel and which one isn’t.

website for Taipei:
https://www.tpedoit.gov.taipei/News_Content.aspx?n=2512DE93E0C88F50&s=4D1A133CA1360666

1 Like

my embassy is now saying my school is responsible for me and I cant do this.
so i guess the government is in on this scam?

I guess this is why they allowing students in. Ripping y’all off for $$$$ and the ripping you off. Trying to give the hotel industry a pulse to stay alive until Taiwan opens in 2039.

Anyway, can’t you just book it? how do they know where you are going? you can’t get out without booking a quarantine hotel…just book it, show the driver? I don’t get why you wouldn’t be able to.

have they not provided an address or google pictures of the hotel?