School still wants me to go in

I need some advice. My cram school is asking me to go in and teach online from inside the school. There will be no kids there but a bunch of staff, together in small rooms. Including staff who are traveling on the MRT to get there. I have said I don’t feel comfortable doing this and would be prefer to teach from my home.

My question is…if the school fire me because of this or I quit because I refuse to go in, will my ARC or work permit be revoked? And then will I have a time limit to find a way to fly back home? If I stay here and look for a new job, will my NHI be put on hold whilst I am unemployed.

Your response to the asshat laoban: No , not, by the hair of my chiny chin chin :laughing:

You can pay the charge.

I’ll try to be a bit more diplomatic, but yeah, that’s what I’m really thinking

The selection of bolded words is throwing me.

Yeah I wondered if it was some kind of code

1 Like

Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho

In that case, I wish for 46 million vaccine doses. Long live Jambi!

1 Like

People can self pay NHI contributions. I think they are like 700NT a month. Be firm in not going in.

Brought up this topic in another thread. Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021 - Taiwan / Living in Taiwan - Forumosa

Call their bluff and say flat out ‘no.’

If they still insist, put them all over social media or complain about them to Focus Taiwan or something.

1 Like

OK thanks, 700NT seems decent. Do you think I would need to leave the country though, if I lost my job over this? I’m not saying staying in Taiwan right now is the golden ticket it was until recently, but it would also be a huge headache trying to get back home (and I’m sorry, I know there are probably a lot of people here with even bigger problems).

Regarding your other thread, I’ve actually been speaking to co-workers, trying to get them to stand up on this issue. It just seems like a ridiculous demand under current circumstances.

no. If you lost your job, you can apply for 6 month extension. It should be applied before your ARC become invalid, so you should go to NIA immediately after you quit/be fired with the contract termination letter.

Yeah I think I will. I like my job and I understand they are gonna be under a lot of pressure atm, which I want to help with, but I don’t think it’s worth the risk. And I have a feeling a lot of people could be regretting the risks they took in recent days.

Having said that, I don’t know want to be in a situation where I need to very rapidly pack things up and get a flight home. don’t even know if it’s possible due to lack of covid testing opportunities.

In addition, you can file illegal termination with the labour board if they try to fire you. Downside being it doesn’t get you the job back but will force them to pay for unlawful wage deduction.

Usually a threat of speaking to the CLA should do it, most laobans don’t want them involved but certainly won’t win you any friends at the company

That’s good to know, thankyou! Hopefully it doesn’t come to that and they will acquiesce. I guess that is assuming that the NIA remains open during the next few weeks/months.

That’s also useful, thanks! I’d imagine my boss would probably claim she was firing me for a completely different, unrelated issue, but it’s a good tool to have if I need it.

No as mentioned by another poster—you will have 6 months although it could be difficult in this climate to find another job

I would start drafting a narrative appealing to reason such as:

.I like working for this company. I think I am a good teacher, etc. In light of the current crisis, I really want to obey government directives and do not want to travel an hour or more to do what you have requested. Please give me the flexibility to teach from home online and show you how it can work. I would hate to have to involve the CLA., etc.

2 Likes

The government specifically says employers are under no obligation to pay. NONE.
They have a voluntary option of giving online work. They can even have you in doing paper work. Just not teaching.