School won't let me take time off to visit grandparents

Also, if you do a runner, it then just creates a much more difficult working environment for whichever teacher takes over your job. The school will be forever suspicious of future foreign teachers.[/quote]

Fine, but at some point, Bushibans will have to adjust their working environment. It is becoming more apparent that Taiwan’s work environment is not good. Even if a lot of complaints get registered on the Flob. A lot of experiences are being registered in other places. A common theme keeps coming up. Horrible work environments, horrible bosses, and schools who don’t pay teachers. Not paying someone for their work is inexcusable.

When the supply of english teachers willing to put up with mistreatment and low pay goes down, schools will be forced to improve to attract talent. Not till then, sadly.

[quote=“djkonstable”]
Fine, but at some point, buxibans will have to adjust their working environment. It is becoming more apparent that Taiwan’s work environment is not good. Even if a lot of complaints get registered on the Flob. A lot of experiences are being registered in other places. A common theme keeps coming up. Horrible work environments, horrible bosses, and schools who don’t pay teachers. Not paying someone for their work is inexcusable.[/quote]
Only supply and demand would pressure schools to make changes. However if there were a scarcity of teachers, it would be easier to find an English teacher willing to put up with a “crappy” work environment for higher pay than it would be to create a work environment deemed “healthy” by a majority of English teachers. Buxibans would be more likely to go out of business before changing their work environments.

Well said (both ur posts). We all know schools (most) treat workers, especially local workers like poor servants that should be happy to have a job. “Family, vacation, free time, are you mad?” Kindergarten graduation is a big deal. :roflmao: :roflmao: :loco:. But it is!

That being said the odd thing for me is WHY do you have to go in July? Why not arrange(d) for August? When you sign contracts here you’d better make sure you understand what they expect. Oh, well Good luck!

Leave now, at least the American job market is on an upswing. No reason, to degrade yourself for a year or two, go back to your own country without references. There is no career reason to teach English in Taiwan. It is a fuck off period. Study Chinese, paint, play music, develop your business, but I hope to hell no one thinks it is a career. Unless you like being a bitch.

No! Don’t let them kick you back stateside. Figure out a way to do your thing here legally and honorably. Ni illegitimi non carborundum, and all that cal, old chap!

I would, whatever you do, take the opportunity to say, quietly but a little sadly, “Wow. I thought Taiwanese were filial. I certainly hope you never have to choose between your job and your duty as a filial son.”

Guilt 'em. They really believe no Westerner ever even takes care of an elderly relative, let alone has feelings for them.