Schooling during school closure

The cynic in me says that teachers don’t want to do live video lessons because it’ll expose to parents what a poor/lazy job they do of actual teaching.

This is especially true for private schools - for the first time, parents get the opportunity to see how those extremely high tution fees are spent. Must be opening some eyes.

Case in point. Isn’t this how most Taiwanese schools work? Teachers give a lecture about the subject, students listen for 40 minutes in silence, then on to the next class for the same thing.

(Sorry to generalized, yes I’m sure there some great Taiwanese teachers and schools out there).

2 Likes

Parents are sharing some videos, and we see it is greatly different for each teacher even though they are teaching the same contents with the same materials.

1 Like

Teachers are also limited by their equipment. My school had us doing online lessons for a week before we could do them at home. Imagine running a class with 30 elementary school kids from an Ipad. Yeah, it’s going to suck.

Must be tough to have your ability at your job judged under the worst possible conditions which in no way resemble the actual conditions under which your job is supposed to be conducted.

I’m not saying there aren’t bad teachers/lazy teachers, but most remote stuff is basically just online baby-sitting. Satisfied parents are probably just happy their children are occupied, rather than actually learning anything.

5 Likes

This bugs me so much.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have an issue with that but it seems ours are making up for the lost time by assigning a large amount of homework that needs to be done.

I wouldn’t have an issue if the homework was at normal level and they had the rest of the time off. It’s coordinating our other kids (we have a 3 year old) while trying to keep focus on completing all the homework that is the difficult part.

Of course we are getting them to mop the floor and help out around the house, hanging out laundry, dishes etc.

Why? I run meetings and share presentations with over 30 people on PCs and iPads. It’s identical.

Identical!? Running a presentation remotely with 30 grown adults who are paid to be competent with technology and listen to the information you are showing is identical to running a class remotely with 30 kids who haven’t slept properly, aren’t familiar with the software they’re using and are chatting with their friends online at the same time?

It’s a shame you hate teachers, but when was the last time any of us sat through a remote presentation without fiddling with our phones? The situation isn’t ideal, and it generally doesn’t work, but it’s not the teachers fault.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the teacher who is best in the classroom gives the worst remote lessons, and the best remote lessons come from the teacher who is worst in the classroom.

8 Likes

I agree 100 percent. Out of my wife’s friends, the kids who go to public(cheap) school have been getting online classes. The ones who go to expensive private schools have been getting videos. I imagine the quality will be the same which is the problem. The parents will find out that all the extra money is only so they can associate with other rich people. Something they can’t do now.

If its that bad, probably best to send them complaints. Anonymously, of course.

I guess the real problem, especially for elementary school teachers, is what is the digital version of a bamboo stick?

Parents are sharing videos? So rude. Do they go to the 7 11 and abuse the clerks so they can record their reactions and post it on YouTube? Maybe the teacher should record their kids when they don’t do well in class and have a joke about it with the other teachers at break time. Some teachers need to up their game, but that doesn’t mean their videos should be being passed around.

1 Like

Had the exact opposite happen. Have been blown away with the quality of the online classes. For first grade students the school does 4 to 5 hours a day, 40 minute classes, then 20 minute break (offline). Cannot believe how well it works even with these young children (6-7 years old).

It is somewhat easier since the school already used Ipad’s extensively for teaching and there is only a max of 15 students per class.

I have no problem paying the (very) high tuition fees for the service offered.

3 Likes

Are you trying to get them to write, type or do some sort of work in the iPad? Try have an online class with a bunch of 7 years olds who have not been taught how to use a computer or type.

Then you probably need to think of some other type of interaction. Seven-year-olds typing is a waste of time.

Teach online for an hour and come back to me.

1 Like

That is what is happening, though.

The differences between skilled and unskilled teachers are rather obvious. Skilled teachers hold kids attention and teach something even with nothing in their hands. It is also obvious whether teachers have intention to interact with kids, when teachers are not so skilled.

2 Likes

Are you trying to make 7 yo type something? Is is a demand from school?

No I’m not trying to make them type. Getting them to access google classroom is hard enough.

But they need to type in the comment box. It’s a demand from the teaching assistants.

They also need to do their weekly quizzes using google classroom. . Parents have demanded this.

What school.

You got my sympathy.