Schools to avoid in Ilan County

This idiom has a fixed usage? I think you are closer to the more standard usage, though. What I typed would be unusual for sure.

Er no. Not the polite stuff. And I can certainly still swear like a sailor in Hokkien. The oldies love that. Get a right giggle out of it.

Nonsense. There are some horrible, entitled little shits around who make life hell for their teachers and peers. But the schools want to keep them because profit and cash-flow.

8 Likes

No doubt this often happens.

My hope is that at some point the students you refer to find a teacher that gets thier attention. Not necessarily at our school.

If parents are willing to work with the school, get counseling or take classes that help with focus and emotional problems, we will always try our best. Parents in denial will have to find another school.

Yilan is a small place, it is funny to run into students 20+ years later. I have had conversations with some about thier behavior as kids, we can both have a chuckle. Some will then send thier children to our schools. The ones that are still problematic aren’t saying hello if they see me.

On the other side, there are teachers who physically, or verbally, abuse students, they need to be let go. Sometimes they become disgruntled and post threads such as this. Some schools will also keep teachers like this for profit and cash flow because they feel they have no choice.

Both are tragic mistakes for any school.

My limited experience says this is true.

You are basically admitting that you’ve kept bad students and that 20 years later those students don’t stop and say hello to you.

And I disagree with Yilan being a small place. 10 years ago you could still argue that but not anymore. It’s now part of New Taipei City and all the same rules and regulations should apply.

There should also be more MoE inspections on cram schools and buxibans (and probably kindergartens) to ensure they are adhering to the rules.

At the end of the day you either want a performing monkey (you should pay the applicable performing arts rate) or a teacher. Very rarely will the two be the same thing.

3 Likes

My experience is, schools will get rid of good teachers before the let poorly behaved children leave.

5 Likes

A bit OT but is Yilan really a big place now? Haven’t been there in years. Did the tunnel cause Taipei residents to move in and now commute?

I figure when that HSR gets built Yilan will be a zoo.
Im thinking it may still be a good investment for a property especially once the train is in.

Check property prices. The place has exploded. There are now regular buses connecting Taipei to yilan that cut the travel time to about 50 minutes.

3 Likes

So in your opinion not worth it now? I was looking and it looked like you could still get some decent properties for $6M to $8M which is unheard of in Taipei. Thanks for your reply

You might want to physically look at those properties. Those prices seem quite low.

1 Like

They were not in Yilan proper, it looks like Yilan countryside has a lot of builders going in there now, I’m guessing spurred on by the fact the train is going in eventually. Anyway I better stop derailing this thread, :smile:thanks for your input

1 Like