Scooter advice for a large person

I’ve been here a month and it’s time to get a scooter. I have been riding my girlfriends 50cc which is very ackward because I am a big guy (190 cm[6’3"], 90KG[200+lbs]) I think a 125 would be a more appropriate size for me. Can anyone answer a few questions for me:

  1. Do some scooters have bigger frames than others with the same size engine? Can anyone recommend one for a person my size? (I would also like to fit my girlfriend on the back)

  2. Is it safe to buy a used scooter at a shop? or have these been stolen/wrecked? Any other good resources?, I live in Taoyuan by the way. (tealit’s scooter listings suck, most dont even list engine size or 2 or 4 stroke)

3.How far can you drive these things? I would love to take trips to Shrmen Resevoir and the like, but not sure if the scooter can hang.

and, finally

  1. I have not recieved my ARC yet, should I be concerned about driving without a license for now?

I know I have listed a lot of questions but any advice would be appreciated

Definitely go for a 125.

1.I can’t see the point in getting a bigger framed scooter with a smaller engine, if you find one, because the bigger you are the more power you need to haul your lard around.
I have got a 125 Vino and it is quite bit bigger than the 50cc and 90cc versions, which both come in the same size frame.

  1. I avoided this hassle and other issues by buying new. There are some fairly big 2nd hand joints in Taoyuan and one in Nankan too. It would pay to take a local with you to talk to the dudes.

  2. As far as you want, IMHO. We have been to the dam, and waaaaaaaaaay beyond it up into the mountains. Have been from Taoyuan out to Bali, and right around the coast way past Danshui and up over Yang Mountain, thru Taipei and back to Taoyuan (with plenty of side detours along the way)in an afternoon. About 6 hrs of touring (sore ass that day tho :s )
    We regularly take it into Taipei now. 40-45 mins to downtown Taipei from Taoyuan.
    What used to seem a long way on the scooter now isn’t, so it can’t be that bad.

  3. you wont be able to even buy a scooter (legally) without an ARC. You don’t need a license to buy one.

There are heaps of other threads on this stuff, if you do a search.

I am the same 6’3" 200lb. I ride a 50cc scooter to much ridicule and the odd picture taking by curious locals.

When you upgrade and even now watch out for knees and handlebars.

When I ride a pillion my knees catch the bars and I have nearly stacked more than once.

Hey there…

(1) Tried the Yamaha Majesty? Not everyone’s cup of tea but many people are pretty fond of them.

(2) Be very careful when buying second hand… I bought a second hand SYM Legend (not a scooter) a while ago and was really happy with it. Awesome condition and was nice to ride. I took it to a local mechanic who also happens to be a family friend for a check up and he said that it was definitely a stolen bike. What the orginal shop did was that they took a stolen bike and replaced the engine number with a previously registered engine. I got rid of that bike the very next day…

I’m also now kicking myself for not having him check out the bike before I bought it :fume:

Stick to reputable shops if you’re keen on second hand bikes… Many are in great condition and it may save you some cash.

Good luck!!

A 125 scooter can take you pretty far. I have driven through the mountains from Taipei to Yi-lan on a number of occasions and some friends drove theirs all the way down to Kenting. Sometimes it’s a bit slow getting up the mountains but it makes it.

Some models have 150cc versions with just a little bit of extra grunt.

When I bought new, about a year ago, I basically went for the biggest model that was not one of those horrendous majesties/dinks etc.

Something like that will basically take you anywhere you want to go.


Maybe this might be useful.

According to the Handbook for Foreigners in Taipei (picked mine up at at the Taipei City Police Department) -

"Except for those countries listed below, foreigners may drive in Taiwan on a valid international driver’s license for 30 days. After that, report to the appropriate Office of Motor Inspection:
Italy, Vatican, Finland, Saudi Arabia, Amman, Nigeria, Japan, Paraguay, Ecuador, [certain states in the] U.S. (Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi,Arkansas, Oklahoma and Florida).

Driver’s license examination -

Foreigners must prepare the following documents to apply for a driver license examination at the Northern Area Office of Vehicle Registration Department.

  1. Resident’s permit

  2. Medical checkup certificationfor driver’s license examination (Available at Northern Area Office)

3)Two passport size photos

  1. One of the following driving experiences:
  • A learner license for 3 months or completion of any driving school [courses] registered in Taipei City

  • The original and a photocopy of the driver’s license obtained in your native country

  1. Passing grade: a score of 85 for the written test, a score of 70 for the road test (Light motorcycles exempted).

N.B. Holders of a foreign residence permit are not allowed to apply for a ROC driver’s license."

I am not too sure about what the N.B. is about . But throughout the whole tract, there was no mention of the ARC. Still it might be better to check it out first.


Northern Area Office
Vehicle Registration Department 80, Cheng De Road, Section 5, Shi Lin District, Taipei
Tel: (02)2831-4155 ext. 327

Vehicle Registration Department
21, Ba De Road, Section 4, Song Shan District, Taipei
Tel: (02)2763-0155 ext. 203

All the best :slight_smile:

I’m a light guy…but I’ve done Taipei to Kenting 3 times on a 125cc scooter. The Yamaha Cygnus. I held it pinned for hours on end (roads permiting). It’s still running fine. But if you want to actually explore the mountains with a passenger…get a motorbike…two-stroke preferably.

[quote]4) One of the following driving experiences:

  • A learner license for 3 months or completion of any driving school [courses] registered in Taipei City

  • The original and a photocopy of the driver’s license obtained in your native country [/quote]

Is this a new rule? I never needed either of these to get a license a few years ago. I just gave them my ARC, a couple of passport photos, health certificate and some money. Oh yeah, passing the test helps, too. :wink:

Picked the handbook up earlier this year. So, yeah, it could be a new rule or an afterthought.

Well, I have no problems on mountain roads with me and a passenger (she’s light, I’m heavy). A grunty 150CC can handle it.