Scooter license

I’m sure this has been discussed before… but searches yielded old threads with broken links :frowning:.

I want to get a scooter license, but I have no idea where to go. Police station, perhaps?

Also, do I need to own a scooter to take the driving test? If so, how does one legally purchase a scooter and drive it to the testing location without a license?

A lot of your questions are answered in this thread
(links still working)

3 Likes

Find your local DMV and go there to do the test. You’ll need to do a physical health check for it. Usually there is a doctor at the place or one right next door that does them. You will also need some photos for it as well.

You can rent a scooter there. I think the cost is 50 NTD to rent it for the test. You can also have a friend drive you there and use their scooter.

Here’s the link to the practice test.
https://www.mvdis.gov.tw/m3-simulator-drv/

6 Likes

Thanks so much!!

And sorry about asking this question… I guess I just wasn’t searching hard enough :sweat_smile:

Here’s a very informative video about the driving test:

He also has a video about the written test if you go to his channel.

5 Likes

Not sure if this is new… but today I found that you must make an appointment online. Today, I swung by the DMV to make an appointment (because I prefer human interactions lest I accidentally click the wrong button) but they wouldn’t help me. They just told me to go home and use my computer. They also won’t answer any questions.

(When I asked to make an appointment, the guy behind the counter just held up a sign that said “Turn right.” I looked to my right and didn’t see anything, so I asked him to clarify in Chinese. He fumbled through his papers and held up another sign that said “Go past the park.” Finally, he handed me a slip of paper with the following URL on it.)

Here’s the link: https://www.mvdis.gov.tw/m3-emv-trn/exm/locations

Btw, I want to get a license for 重型機車 (99% of scooters in Taipei fall under this category). I have an old 輕型機車 (“light scooter” with an engine under 50cc)… will they let me take the road test with a light scooter? (I’m just worried that if I borrow a scooter from the DMV, I won’t be used to it)

I would have asked the guy behind the counter… but I was afraid he’d just hold up a sign that says “The bathroom is on your left.” :angry:

1 Like

YMMV, I wasn’t allowed to ride a 50cc for the regular scooter exam. They didn’t even let me touch the loaner until it was my turn to be tested.
(As you might expect, I failed so I borrowed a coworker’s scooter the next time. You only need to sit through the safety movie once.)

1 Like

No, that negates the whole purpose of the 249cc and under (重型機車) license, wouldn’t it? It’s like driving a van to get your heavy truck license…kind of.

@okonomiyaki has borrowed the DMV scooter and passed. It’s not impossible, but not easy to do it on their scooters as you don’t get a chance to get a feel of how the scooter will operate.

1 Like

Last year I got my normal scooter license (普通重型機車 )
You have to make appointment online (考照預約報名) , because the test center only provide limited seats for the written and practice test and also right now is summer holiday and many college students want to get the scooter/car license
for example, Today I check that the next available test dates are in September , however this could be different in other test center locations

The scooter license application process 考照全攻略 - 機車考照全攻略

for heavy motorcycle 250cc重型機車 the practice test is different than the normal scooter 普通重型機車 (125cc , 150cc) ,
You can check the video below and it seems that you can do this kind of test in a driving school

3 Likes

What if you already have a motorcycle license that enables you to ride any kind of motorcycle in your country? Can it be exchanged for a TW licence that enables you to drive any kind of motorcycle in TW?

I don’t think so, unless your country’s license has reciprocity with an equal Taiwanese license.

I’ve been visiting a practice location with my 50cc scooter, but I only use full throttle to try to simulate a larger engine. I have no idea whether this will actually work…

Today, I also learned that scooter rental services ask to see a license before renting you a scooter, even if you just want to drive it for a minute just to see how a “real” scooter feels.

Of course, I wasn’t planning on asking whether I could take the scooter all the way to the practice location or the testing site. I would never think of doing something like that…

This is Taiwan. I’ve driven there failed twice and driving myself there and back.
Third time’s the charm.
No one checks your license unless you’ve had an accident.
Make sure you drive an insured scooter though.
I had an accident, not my fault. I got compensated for the accident and got fined for having the wrong license 50CC or Car License
The person who was at fault paid me through settlement, didn’t have a license, was fined and sentenced to driver’s training classes…
I recommend that you practice on the course if you can.
Completing the course resembles West a practical driver’s test but more and exercise in dance choreography.
Seriously the first task is to drive very very slow in a straight line between two narrowly spaced lines.
I seriously practiced over 25 times choreographing the moves to the rhythm of let the Night Fall’s first verse. It worked. Passed flawlessly.

3 Likes

To add to this, some driving schools have course for both 普通重型 and 重型機車. So if you want to get a license quickly that’s the best way because you don’t have to wait until a free space opens up at the DMV, they’ll have places allocated.

When I did it I got my license in 3 weeks, but that was having already done the written test for a car license so YMMV. That included two days of 3-hour lessons then the test on a Saturday morning at the driving school.

Total cost was NT$3700 but you can get NT$1300 back by attending a 4-hour lecture. As someone who’d never ridden a motorbike before it was decent value, but I can understand not wanting to pay if you have experience.

2 Likes

How do you find these driving schools?

Just Google wherever you live and 機車駕訓班.

2 Likes

Wait… Rental places wouldn’t let me touch their scooters without a license… But you can still buy a scooter to practice with?

yeah , you don’t need a driving license to buy a scooter , motorcycle and I think also even buy a Car here
however for rent a scooter/car you need the driving license

By the way , You can do the practice test with the GoShare , Wemo scooters

They will require you to upload a valid driver license to their APP and link your credit card in order to use their service.

Really? Anytime I’ve rented a scooter (admittedly at more touristy destinations such as hualian or xiao liu qiu) I’ve never had someone ask to see my license. I’ve had the “foreigner” tax placed on me before and my passport scanned, but no one has asked for a license yet…